Saturday 18 October 2014

Italian Espresso Cupcakes with a Hazelnut Centre


This month's AlphaBakes letter is "I" which is a slightly tricky letter. Last time round I made Italian biscotti and I'm afraid I've gone for the same use of I with these Italian espresso cupcakes with a hazelnut centre. The cupcakes are light and you can clearly taste the coffee. My colleague bought me some packs of Giotto from Germany which are very similar to Ferrero Rochers. I put one in the centre of the cupcake which stayed whole and gave a slightly nutty flavour to the cupcakes. I also put one on top for decoration. 

As mentioned I'm entering these to AlphaBakes hosted by Caroline from Caroline Makes this month and by myself on alternate months. The letter this month is I for Italian espresso (brewed in my Italian coffee pot!) 



 Italian coffee and Giotto - hazelnut cream filled balls

 Place one Giotto in the centre before baking 

 Perfect with a cup of coffee 



Makes 12 cupcakes
For the cupcakes
175g unsalted butter
175g light brown sugar
3 large eggs
175g self-raising flour
4 tablespoons Italian espresso brewed in an Italian coffee pot 
12 Giotto (you can use Ferrero Rochers instead)

For the icing
150g unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 - 3 teaspoons Italian espresso
350g icing sugar, sifted

To decorate
12 Giotto
cocoa powder for dusting 

  • Brew a pot of Italian espresso (or use instant espresso) and set aside. 
  • Preheat the oven to 180C. 
  • Place 12 cupcake liners in a cupcake tray.
  • Beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
  • Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each addition. 
  • Add in the coffee.
  • Stir in the flour and mix well.
  • Divide the batter evenly between 12 cupcake cases.
  • Place 1 Giotto ball in the centre of each cupcake - there's no need to cover it as it will sink as the cake bakes.
  • Bake for approximately 18-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. 
  • To make the icing, beat the icing sugar and butter together for a few minutes. 
  • Add in the coffee and continue mixing until smooth. 
  • Pipe the buttercream on top of the cooled cupcake. 
  • Dust with cocoa powder and place a Giotto ball on top.



10 comments:

  1. These look great - both cute and professional at the same time! I remember eating Giotto when I lived in Germany, great idea to use it in a cake and lovely entry for Alphabakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of Giotto before and you know me - I'll try to incorporate anything into a cake or bake!!

      Delete
  2. I think these are right up Mr CC's street - when he's been good I might make them for him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha I'm sure he'll be very good if he knows he can get these!

      Delete
  3. Love the idea of putting the chocolates in the middle and how amazing that they stayed in one piece. I'm a bit stumped for AB this month and can't seem to get passed I for Icing - sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it stayed in one piece. Not many recipes for "I" so no worries, maybe next month!

      Delete
  4. Espresso, hazelnut and cupcake - that's what I call 3in1 dessert, really looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes please. They look so very, very inviting.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!