Thursday 9 October 2014

Oreo Chocolate Chip Muffins


You may or may not know but I moved house recently and I'm still settling into my new home. I've not unpacked properly as I've been really busy with other things and am surrounded by a sea of boxes. However, I was desperate to get back to baking so I've unpacked a few kitchen boxes and this recipe was inspired by what I found in the first box - oreo cookies! I decided on muffins as they are quick and easy and I found my muffin tin and muffin cases. I did have to buy cocoa powder, baking powder and cooking chocolate as I can't find them (I have a large supply of baking ingredients!) but I know it will all get used up eventually so it's not a wasteful buy. 

I found this recipe online from Food Lust People Love. The recipe is simple and the muffins turned out really well. They were moist and chocolatey and I loved the bits of oreos inside and on top of the muffins. They were a huge hit at work and with my new neighbours. 

I'm sending this to the Biscuit Barrel Challenge hosted by Laura from I'd Much Rather Bake Than... as she has chosen the theme comfort food. Chocolate muffins are the ultimate comfort food especially with the added indulgence of oreo cookies!




 milk and egg mixture

 add melted butter and chocolate 

 stirring in the chopped oreos and chocolate chips 

 sprinkle with chopped oreos before baking



 you can still see the chopped oreos inside the muffin

Recipe adapted very slightly from Food Lust People Love
170g chocolate, melted
115g unsalted butter
250g all-purpose flour
115g caster sugar
100g dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
100g chocolate chips
12 Oreo Cookies

  • Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • Line a muffin tray with 12 paper muffin cases. 
  • Chop the oreos into large chunks.
  • Melt the butter and chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water or in a microwave.
  • In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, sugars and baking powder.
  • In another bowl, whisk the milk and eggs together. 
  • Add the melted butter and chocolate to the milk mixture and whisk.
  • Add in the dry ingredients.
  • Stir in the chocolate chips and approximately 2/3 of the chopped oreos.
  • Use an ice cream scoop to place a large scoop of batter in each muffin case.
  • Sprinkle with the remaining chopped oreos.
  • Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  • Allow to cool on a wire rack.


9 comments:

  1. Oh my Ros, you've blown my Snickers muffins which I've just made out of the water. Now I really want one of these instead and sadly I have no Oreos in my huge chocolate stash! Thanks for sharing with the Biscuit Barrel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snickers muffins? I found a few bars of snickers so I'll need to get your recipe!

      Delete
  2. Love these muffins!! I would love to enjoy with a cup of coffee. ~~ Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look gorgeous... I love a confectionary muffin and it's been ages since i've had oreos... off to the shop i pop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use all sorts of confectionery which has now given me an idea....

      Delete
  4. Those are some really delicious muffins, I really like your recipes, keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you're settling in to the new place! I'm impressed you still busted these out while surrounded by boxes! I love anything Oreo and is it just me or do muffins look so much more appealing in those paper tulip cases? I need to get some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're slowly getting there. I can't believe how much baking stuff I have!! I love these muffin cases and usually order them in pack of 100!

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!