Monday 24 November 2014

SRC: Caramel Apple Shortbread Bars


It's the 4th Monday of the month which can only mean one thing.... It's Secret Recipe Club Group D Reveal day! I love the Secret Recipe Club and look forward to reveal day every month. I had a break last month so it's really good to be back. Just in case you need a reminder about what it's all about - each blog is assigned another blog in secret and the idea is that you choose a recipe to make from your secret blog and reveal it on the same day. It's a great way to discover new blogs and exciting recipes. 

This month my assigned blog is Mom's Test Kitchen writted by Jaime. She describes herself as "a child of God {who requires ALOT of forgiveness}, wife to an automotive genius, momma to a Princess that changed my life, daughter to some pretty alright parents, sister to my best friend & aunt to three kiddos that have me wrapped around their fingers!" You can read more about her and how she got to cooking and blogging here.  She has a lot of great recipes on her blog each accompanied by a beautiful photo. 

I had trouble choosing a recipe as there were so many I wanted to make. I shortlisted a few recipes including No Bake Peanut Butter Cup Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie, Candied Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies, Blueberry Lemon Crumb Bars and Hot Cocoa Cookies. However, my eye was drawn to this Caramel Apple Shortbread Bars. There's a few steps involved in baking this but it's well worth it. It's absolutely delicious and a perfect autumnal bake. I loved the crispy bit at the edges even though it was a little burnt! I would probably add more apples next time as mine cooked down to not very much and my apples were really small. I love the buttery, crumbly shortbread and the caramel apple filling is divine. I might also add in some spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg as I do love spice in my baking!



 making the base 

 cooking the filling

 spread filling over the base

 add crumble mixture on top 

 burnt round the edges but delicious none the less

 you will notice that there are 2 pieces missing as we couldn't wait to try them! 


For the shortbread layer and crumble topping 
225g butter
112g caster sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
312g plain flour (divided into 280g & 31g)

For the caramel apple filling 
57g butter
1 tablespoon honey
50g dark brown sugar
1 can (14oz) condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 small apples (Large apples would be better) - peeled, cored and diced 

  • Grease an 8inch x 8 inch pan and line with foil allowing for some overhang (for easy removal later). Spray liberally with non stick spray.
  • Beat buttter, sugar and vanilla until pale and fluffy
  • Add in 280g flour. 
  • Transfer 1/2 of the dough to the prepared baking tray and press down firmly to form the base.
  • Place in the fridge.
  • Add 31g flour to the remaining dough and mix with your hands until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. This is for the crumble topping later.
  • In a medium saucepan, combine butter, honey, sugar, condensed milk and vanilla and bring to a boil, whisking occasionallu.
  • Add in the diced apples and whisk frequently until the mixture thickens and darkens in colour (approximately 10 minutes).
  • Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. 
  • Preheat the oven to 180C. 
  • Remove base from the fridge and pour the caramel apple filling on top.
  • Sprinkle crumble topping and bake for approximately 1 hour.





25 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious and would be perfect on the holiday table. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a yummy treat! Those look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I love anything baked with apples in, it looks delicious and the burnt bits are the best bits :)

    I often end up with a few going soft in the fruit bowl, will be definitely snagging this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the burnt bits too even though they're not that good for you!

      Delete
  4. I imagine these would go very quickly at a holiday party! Great pick this month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A perfect fall treat!! These sound so delicious, great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a sucker for any kind of sweet treat, and these are perfect for this time of year. They look absolutely delicious! Great pick this month :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is perfect for this time of the year :)

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh, all my favorites! Caramel, apples, and shortbread! I love Jaime's blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great blog and these are my favourite ingredients too!

      Delete
  8. These are absolutely going on my to try list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you had lots of delicious choices! These bars look amazing - great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaime writes a great blog and there were so many choices!

      Delete
  10. These look really good - I must try them soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try them as they are absolutely delicious!

      Delete
  11. Yum - had me at "caramel". Love the sound of these - I might give them a try with fresh apricots which will be coming into season just about any day now in my part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I think it would work well with apricots. Yum!

      Delete
  12. Yum yum! Caramel...... apple..... crumbly top. My sort of pud for sure!!

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!