Yet another recipe from the hummingbird bakery cookbook. These are definitely for the choc-a-holics amongst us :)
the batter is quite runny but don't worry it will set
50g unsalted butter
450g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
170g light brown sugar or light muscovado sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
85g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 170C
- Put the butter and half the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Leave until melted and smooth.
- Put the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld whisk) and beat until well mixed.
- Pour in the chocolate mixture, beating on slow speed until well combined.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a separate bowl, then stir into the chocolate mixture in 3 additions., mixing well after each addition (scrape any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula)
- Finally, stir in the remaining chocolate until evenly dispersed.
- Arrange 6 equal amounts of cookie dough on each prepared baking tray.
- Make sure that the cookies are spaced apart to allow for spreading while baking.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, checking regularly after 10 minutes.
- They are ready when the tops start to crack and look glossy.
- Leave the cookies to cool slightly on the trays before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.