Thursday, 19 January 2012

Blueberry Pancakes with spelt and buttermilk


I've been on a pancake phase recently. I can't believe I've never made pancakes until recently. It's so easy to make and does not require any special ingredients or equipment.  I saw this recipe on What I Baked This Weekend.  It looked really good and I decided to give it a go but modified it to use up all my leftovers.  I had spelt flour and buttermilk leftover from baking my honey and spelt cake and some blueberries that needed to be eaten. I made half the original recipe as I didn't want to end up with stacks of pancakes! 
The pancakes were delicious and I really like the texture of the spelt flour here. I'm sending this to Frugal Food Fridays hosted by Helen from Fuss Free Flavours



Recipe adapted from What I baked this weekend 
Makes 4 pancakes of the size shown

120g spelt flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon honey
150ml buttermilk
75ml milk
1 egg
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
75g blueberries


  • Mix the flour and baking powder in a bowl.
  • In a separate bowl, whisk the honey, buttermilk, milk, egg and oil until smooth. 
  • Make a well in the flour mixture and add in the wet ingredients. 
  • Whisk until just combined. 
  • Fold in the blueberries, saving a handful to sprinkle on top. 
  • Heat a small amount of oil in a non stick frying pan. 
  • Add a small amount of batter (depends on what size you want your pancakes!) and cook until the surface starts bubbling. 
  • Flip the pancake over and cook until light golden brown.
  • Serve with the remaining blueberries and a drizzle of honey.

14 comments:

  1. You're definitely going through a spelt phrase :) A shame though I don't think i've had anything made from spelt before so i can't really imagine how these would taste like >_< but i know it must be amazing and healthy woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This look absolutely yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see you are using up the left overs. I have never used spelt beofe and now you present me wth two recipes - decisons decisions. I do like these pancakes though particularly the artfully placed blueberries does it for me! I hardly ever make pancakes but with pancake day looming I guess I better practise. You keep me on my baking toes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daisy - Just using up what I have - another spelt recipe in progress! I like to think it's healthy too :)

    Gloria - thanks :)

    Cakeboule - LOL glad I can keep you on your baking toes! I have a third recipe in the making so come back for more choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll join in the pancake love here. Best Breakfast known to man, I'm sure :D

    You pancakes look fabulous, and I love spelt flour, I recently discovered I can even buy it in France (thought it didn't exist here) - yay :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never even heard of spelt flour. I learned something new. Great post! I love blueberry pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! I'm going to try the honey and spelt cake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look so good. And by using spelt flour I can eat twice as many cause they are healthy ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never done anything with spelt flour. What's its texture?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am SO making pancakes for breakfast tomorrow! These look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love blueberry pancakes, they are one of my favorite breakfast foods. Yours look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great! I'm sure that when I buy some spelt flour I'll need recipes to use it in and this looks great-not to mention versatile (crepes too).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Charles - Pancakes are amazing!

    Sunshine - thanks :)

    MissCakeBaker - hope you like it :)

    Chele - exactly what I was thinking :)

    Cookie Sleuth - Its similar to wholemeal flour

    yummychunklet - did you have pancakes for breakfast?

    Word of Deliciousness - mine too! thanks :)

    Lorraine - ooh I'll have to try making crepes next time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow these look delicious, I'm not usually a fan of blueberries but who can resist blueberry pancakes - I would have loved for some of these to magically appear for my breakfast this morning!!

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!