Tuesday 31 January 2012

Low Calorie Banana Bread by Baking Mad




The lovely people at Baking Mad were looking for bloggers to try some of their healthy recipes in January. I jumped at the chance after having a great time making rainbow Pudsey cupcakes for Children in Need for them last year. I was given a choice of recipes and guess what I chose? Yes - low calorie banana bread! I know, I know... another banana bread I hear you say? I just couldn't resist! They sent me the ambient ingredients ...



...and all I had to do was add the fresh ingredients and bake! It was a really simple recipe, just mix everything together and bake. I made 3 small loaves with this recipe as shown. I think mine were a little underbaked as they look a bit pale. You can definitely taste the bananas and the riper your banana, the better the flavour. I would probably add in a little fat-free yoghurt next time for extra moisture and maybe a drop of honey to satisfy my sweet tooth. Surely that won't add too many calories? ;) 
It's a nice, quick easy bake if you are looking for something healthy. Check out their other low calorie recipes here  I like the look of low calorie chocolate and beetroot cupcakes and low calorie banoffe layer :)



Recipe from Baking Mad 

Low Calorie Banana Bread Ingredients
100 grams self raising flour
100 ml milk semi skimmed
25 grams Half Spoon Granulated Sugar (Silver Spoon)
25 grams Pecans chopped
2 Bananas small & ripe
0.50 tsp Mixed Spice


  • Preheat oven to 180°C, fan oven 160°C, 350°F, gas mark 4
  • Place flour, sugar, spice and nuts in a mixing bowl.
  • Mash the banana on a plate with a fork until mushy.
  • Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture.
  • Mix the banana and the milk together and pour into the flour mixture. Mix well.
  • Pour the mixture into a loaf tin or the individual loaf tins
  • Bake for 20-25minutes (35- 40 minutes for a larger loaf) or until firm to touch and golden brown and when a skewer is inserted in comes out clean.
  • Tip: Omit the nuts and add a handful dried fruits or 1 tbsp dark chocolate chips
Thank you to Baking Mad for providing the recipe and ambient ingredients. 

9 comments:

  1. look absolutely delicious, really nice:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks gorgeous! Just desperate for a cup of tea to go with it. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. No oil, butter or eggs? I would never have thought that would work. sUCH A NICE HEALTHY OPTION.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know thats why it's healthy. The bananas give it the moisture and texture although I would personally add a little yoghurt or sour cream next time.

      Delete
  4. Nice - not bad for a healthy cake... I like to add low-fat yoghurt to my banana breads too, either that, and/or apple puree... nice natural sweetener :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apple puree is a good idea! thanks! I usually use yoghurt or sour cream.

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!