Did everyone have a good Christmas? This is better late than never - the last of my festive baking this year. I saw a bag of Hershey's Candy Cane Kisses on my travels and decided I had to make thumbprint cookies with them in red and green colours of course! The cookie recipe is adapted from the Hershey's website - the major change I made was to add half a bag (approximately 30 kisses) of chopped kisses into the batter. The cookies were buttery, crumbly and minty. The sugar coating gave it a lovely sweet crunch and the kisses on top were cute and delicious!
I'm sending this to Calendar Cakes hosted by Rachel from Dolly Bakes and Laura from Laura Loves Cakes. The theme this month is 'Go Crackers for Christmas'.
I could only find a bottle of green sugar so I made my own red sugar by adding a little red colouring to a bag of granulated sugar and giving it a good shake! It worked really well so I'm making all my own coloured sugar in the future as they are quite expensive to buy.
Recipe adapted from Hersheys website
Makes approximately 48 cookies
110g icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
approximately 30 candy cane kisses roughly chopped
30-48 candy cane kisses to decorate
Red and green granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 175C
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in the chopped kisses.
- Shape dough into balls and roll in granulated sugar.
- Place on a baking tray spaced apart and bake for approximately 10-12 minutes until the cookie is set.
- Allow to cool for 1-2 minutes then press a candy cane kiss in the centre.
- Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.