Seasons greetings to all my readers. I am still alive and well and finally got to do a spot of baking just for Christmas. I've missed baking and blogging so it's good to be back for a while but normal services will not resume for a few months yet.
This is a peanut butter cupcake with a chocolate ganache frosting decorated to look like a reindeer! They were almost too cute to eat but we managed it anyway :)
Merry Christmas Everyone!
I'm sending this to Tea Time Treats hosted by Kate from What Kate Baked (host for December) and Karen from Lavender and Lovage. The theme this month is chocolate - yay!
I'm also sending this to Calendar Cakes hosted by Rachel from Dolly Bakes (host for December) and Laura from Laura Loves Cakes. The theme is 'Go Crackers for Christmas' so these are perfect for the occasion.
For the cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes
130g smooth peanut butter
190g dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
120g plain flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
60ml semi-skimmed milk
For the chocolate ganache
100mls double cream
50g icing sugar
For the decorations
12 Giant Cadbury Buttons
12 red peanut butter m&m's (or smarties or regular m&m's)
12 mini pretzels
writing icing - black and white
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Line a 12-hole muffin tray with cupcake cases.
- Cream the butter, peanut butter and sugar until well blended.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and then stir in the vanilla extract.
- Combine the flour, salt and baking powder in a separate bowl.
- Add 1/3 of the flour to the creamed mixture and beat well.
- Pour 1/3 of the milk and beat again.
- Repeat until all the flour and milk have been added.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases - I used a large ice cream scoop.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before decorating.
- Make the chocolate ganache by melting the chocolate in a heat proof bowl over a pan of simmering water.
- Once the chocolate has melted, remove from the heat and stir in the double cream.
- Finally sift in the icing sugar.
- Spread a thick layer of chocolate ganache on top of each cupcake and decorate as shown.