Saturday 20 April 2013

Apple and toffee cake


This month's AlphaBakes challenge which I am hosting has the theme of 'A'. Apples are the first thing to spring to mind and I started thinking about flavour combinations with apples. I've made lots of apple and cinnamon combinations so I decided to try something a little different yet famiiar - apple and toffee (and fudge). The cake recipe is based on a pear and cinnamon yoghurt cake which worked beautifully for this recipe. I found some mini Cornish fudge chunks which I added to the cake batter and sprinkled on top of the cake to get a lovely caramelisation of the apples. The resulting cake was moist and the sweetness of the toffee paired well with the tartness of the green apple. Everyone really enjoyed this cake and there wasn't a crumb left! 

As mentioned, I'm entering this to AlphaBakes a monthly blogging challenge that I co-host with Caroline from Caroline Makes.  The letter this month is A for apples.  


I'm also entering this to Calendar Cakes hosted this month by Rachel from Dolly Bakes.  Her co-host is Laura from Laura Loves Cakes.  The theme this month is The Great Village Show and this cake would be perfect for that.



 mini cornish fudge chunks, large bramley apple, low fat toffee yoghurt

 sprinkle a handful of mini fudge into the cake batter

 and another handful on top 

 The fudge melts and creates a lovely crunchy, crispy edge



1 large bramley apple - peeled and cored.
250mls  low fat toffee yoghurt
130g brown sugar
80mls vegetable oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
300g flour
1.5 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
mini cornish fudge pieces or toffee sweets

  • Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • Grease and line a 20cm cake tin. 
  • In a large bowl, mix together the yoghurt, sugar, oil, honey and vanilla. 
  • In another bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda.
  • Peel and core the apple. Cut half of it into slices to decorate on top of the cake. Cut a quarter into small chunks to be added to the cake batter. Eat the remaining quarter! 
  • Add the flour mixture to the yoghurt mixture and combine gently.
  • Stir in the apple chunks and mini cornish fudge pieces (or toffee sweets)  
  • Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin.
  • Arrange the apple slices on top as shown.
  • Sprinkle mini cornish fudge pieces on top.
  • Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. 
  • Allow to cool in the tin for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. 
Note  - this is an egg free recipe but you could add 2 eggs if you wish.

17 comments:

  1. I love apple cakes!!! This looks so yummy! Save me a slice??

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cake sounds delicious. I'm definitely bookmarking this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a bit of an experiment so I'm really pleased that it worked out!

      Delete
  3. I'm impressed at how well risen and moist this looks without any eggs. The apple and toffee combination sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was impressed too - to be honest I forgot to add the eggs but I'm pleased it worked out.

      Delete
  4. This looks lovely, and the thought of apples with fudgy bits is making my mouth water! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a moist cake, and the apple and fudge combo is making my mouth water! Great recipe, thanks for sharing! (New Follower)
    The Pantry Door

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apple and fudge is definitely a good combo. Thanks for visiting :)

      Delete
  6. If there's a nice combo than apple and toffee than I can't think what it is! This looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It reminds me of toffee apples in autumn

      Delete
  7. Yummy this looks delicious :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always have Mullerlight in my fridge, I like the idea of using it in a cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works really well and you can tell yourself it's healthy...ish!

      Delete
    2. Hello! This looks lovely and would love to make it for bonfire night! Sorry to sound a bit silly but when do you add the eggs, would that be with the wet mixture near the beginning? many thanks! Helena

      Delete
    3. Hi! I didn't use any eggs for this recipe but if you wanted to add in 1 or 2 eggs then mix it with the wet mixture in the beginning. Hope the cake turns out well :)

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!