Saturday 13 April 2013

Bin Weevils Birthday Cake

Bin Weevils Cake

Recently I was asked by a colleague to make a birthday cake for her son. I was hoping that it would be an angry birds cake as I really want to make one but haven't found a suitable occasion yet. Instead, he asked for a Bin Weevils cake. My initial response was "What is that?" If you don't already know, it's a kids online game where you can grow your own garden or create a virtual pet. The characters are weevils from the bin hence the name. I still don't understand it but I did my best to replicate the characters for the cake. Thankfully, the birthday boy was pleased! The cake itself is a vanilla sponge filled with strawberry jam and iced with vanilla buttercream. I created a fence with chocolate fingers and used fondant to re-create the slide, trees, mushroom and weevils.


 strawberry jam in between the sponge 

 green vanilla buttercream icing

chocolate finger fence 

 I bought different coloured icing and some strawberry pencils for the slide but I used fondant in the end 

 I got these candy eyeballs from America - absolutely love them! 

 This is supposed to be Clott, one of the weevils 

Bin Weevils Cake The slide and trees 

Bin Weevils Cake The second weevil - not quite sure what it looks like but I think I'm allowed some artistic license ;) 

14 comments:

  1. Gosh well done. I'm sure if I was into Bin Weevils I'd love this cake - think I might do anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite pleased with the final cake, will definitely be less scared of using fondant icing!

      Delete
  2. That's so cool! I have no idea what bin weevils are meant to look like but yours look really cute, the eyes are brilliant! Where did you get them from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I googled for pictures and this was the best I could do. I bought the 'candy eyes' from America - a really good buy!

      Delete
  3. Haha I have never heard of a Bin Weevil before but this is awesome!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of it either but seeing your cake I want to know more! Lovely, lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this cake is great...I love your modelling, it's really neat and precise! I'm not surprised the birthday boy loved it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura - I'm still learning. So pleased the birthday boy liked it :)

      Delete
  6. What funky little figures, I love their candy eyeballs. I haven't heard of the game before either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the candy eyeballs too - so pleased I bought them.

      Delete
  7. Wow Ros, you've really outdone yourself! I'd never heard of that show either but the characters look so great! Your modelling work is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gem - I didn't think they looked that good but everyone has been really impressed - phew! :)

      Delete
  8. Great cake! I've got to make a Bin Weevil cake tomorrow, gonna try and emulate your creation!

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!