Friday 26 April 2013

Hazelnut, chocolate and coffee spelt cookies


It's Random Recipe time again. This exciting challenge is hosted by Dom from Belleau Kitchen. He likes to keep us on our toes - you never know what to expect! Fortunately the challenge this month was not too difficult - count up all your books and use a random number generator to select the book to use. Open up that book to a random page and cook that recipe. I often use a random number generator particularly for random recipes to select my book and often to select the page as well. This time, the trusty number generator thingamidoodah (yes it's a real word) churned out no 34 which was.....


 This is a lovely little book full of cookie recipes. 

I opened it up to a random page and got Chocolate & coffee wholemeal cookies. I felt like I'd won the random recipe lottery. I did change up the recipe a little bit as I didn't have all the ingredients to hand. The resulting cookie was crispy, nutty and chocolatey. I didn't get much of the coffee flavour - will definitely add a bit more next time. On the plus side, the spelt and oats made it seem healthy which eased the guilt of eating four two cookies in a row. Definitely one for the cookie jar!





 camp coffee essence, spelt flour, roasted hazelnuts, chocolate chips, oats. 

 I love the melty chocolate bits inside

Recipe from Cookie Jar - I've given my adaptations below

175g butter
180g soft brown sugar
1 egg
70g plain flour
70g spelt flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
225g chocolate chips (i used a mixture of dark and milk)
185g rolled oats
1 tablespoon coffee essence (recommend 2 tablespoons for a stronger coffee flavour)
100g hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped

  • Preheat the oven to 190C.
  • Grease and line 2 baking trays.
  • Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  • Add in the egg.
  • Sift the flour, spelt flour and bicabonate of soda and mix into the butter mixture.
  • Stir in the chocolate chips, coffee, hazelnuts and oats and mix well.
  • Use a small ice cream scoop to scoop out small scoops of cookie dough spaced well apart. 
  • Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
  • Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the tray before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. 


18 comments:

  1. Oh that must be so yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could I use wholemeal instead of spelt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes definitely. In fact the original recipe used wholemeal flour but I only had spelt flour which is why I changed it.

      Delete
    2. Huzzah! I endeavor to make these once I get my hands on an oven in a few weeks and shall try and remember to let you know how they go!

      Delete
  3. Love, love, love the melty chocolate! They do look yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm catching up on blog reading waiting for the Mr to wake up so we can have lunch... and this is the post that has just broken me, off to raid the cupboards now for snacks :-)

    (p.s. had a crazy weekend and didn't get chance to bake anything with an A, but I'm all over Alphabakes next month I promise!)

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are quite tempting indeed! No worries about Alphabakes - hope to see you next month. Caroline will be hosting.

      Delete
  5. and I love the melty bits inside too... how amazing do these look? It's these quirky little books that seem to turn out such perfect cookies isn't it? Lovely entry, thank you so much for playing along this month x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting RR which gave me a chance to re-discover this little book again!

      Delete
  6. Ooo yummy. Looks like a cute little book i might need to look at getting my hands on. I'm glad you can change to wholemeal flour :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great little book particularly if you like cookies! The original recipe had wholemeal flour and some bran but I changed it to spelt flour.

      Delete
  7. This is definitely a winner on the Random Recipes lottery...what a fab bake! They look delicious and that combination of hazelnut, chocolate and coffee is fab too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased I got this recipe! It's a really good flavour combination.

      Delete
  8. I love spelt in biscuits - it gives such a lovely nuttiness. These look great.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!