Today is Chinese New Year so Happy New Year to everyone who is celebrating today. This is not a typical Chinese New Year cake but it is a celebration cake which I actually made for a colleague's birthday recently. It's still Jan and we are still on the health kick so this is a lighter lemon and blueberry cake made with low fat yoghurt. It's filled with homemade lemon curd and topped with a vanilla buttercream frosting. The cake was light and moist due to the yoghurt and full of blueberries which are good for you! The lemon curd was absolutely divine and I think it was the highlight of the cake.
200g self raising flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
75g golden caster sugar
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
150mls low fat yoghurt
50mls sunflower/vegetable oil
For the icing
200g icing sugar
juice of 1/2 lemon (optional) or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Sift flour and bicarbonate of soda in a medium bowl.
- Stir in sugar, blueberries and lemon zest.
- Add eggs, yoghurt, oil and lemon juice in the centre and mix well.
- Divide into a giant cupcake mould and fill it to about 2/3 full.
- Bake for approximately 40-45 minutes or until well risen, golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before decorating.
- To make the lemon curd, place a fine mesh sieve over a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a medium pot, whisk together the lemon juice, sugar, egg yolks and pinch of salt.
- Place the pot over a medium-low heat and add the butter.
- Stir the mixture with a whisk. You may want to use a spatula to scrape down the edges.
- Cook the curd until the butter is melted and the mixture is the thickness of warm hot fudge.
- Remove from the heat and immediately pour into the fine mesh sieve over a medium bowl.
- Press through the sieve leaving any cooked egg bits in the strainer.
- To make icing, mix all ingredients in an electric stand mixer until smooth. You can make lemon or vanilla icing - I ran out of lemons so made a vanilla icing here.
- Cut the bottom half of the cupcake in half and fill with lemon curd.
- Put more lemon curd in between the top and bottom half of the giant cupcake.
- Spread a thin layer of frosting around the outside of the bottom half of the cupcake.
- Arrange chocolate fingers as shown.
- Pipe rosettes on the top half of the giant cupcake and decorate with sprinkles.