I had a baking urge last week but I couldn't decide what to bake! I looked at my cupboards and cookbooks for inspiration but couldn't decide on anything. In the end I made some cookies which will be revealed later and I made these muffins as I had a real craving for something lemony. I found this recipe online which Lorraine Pascale posted on twitter. I added lemon juice and more zest and a lemon glaze and they turned out beautifully.
I'm entering this to the Biscuit Barrel Challenge hosted by Laura from I'd Much Rather Bake Than... The theme this month is spring and lemons definitely feel very spring like to me!
And to Calendar Cakes hosted by Rachel from Dolly Bakes and Laura from Laura Loves Cakes. The theme this month is 'Spring into Action'
Makes 14 - recipe adapted online from Lorraine Pascale
For the muffins
350g self raising flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of flour
225g golden caster sugar
140g butter, melted
zest of 2 lemons
juice of 1/2 lemon
For the lemon glaze
Juice of 1-2 lemons - adjust to the right consistency
150g icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Mix all the dry ingredients except the poppyseeds in a large bowl.
- Add in the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Finally stir in the poppyseeds.
- Divide the mixture into muffin cases and bake for about 18-20 minutes or until brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Make the lemon glaze by sifting the icing sugar into a large bowl then adding in the lemon juice 1 teaspoon at a time until you get the consistency required.
- Drizzle a generous amount of glaze over each muffin.