Tuesday 5 August 2014

Dark Chocolate and Peanut Butter Cornflake Cookies



Recently I got a lovely care package from America via a friend. I've already baked with the butterscotch chips and pumpkin puree. This time I am using my all time favourite ingredient peanut butter in the form of Reese's peanut butter chips. The inspiration for this recipe comes from Alexandra from The Lass in the Apron. She made these Everyday Double Chocolate Cookies for AlphaBakes which I immediately bookmarked. I've put my own twist on the recipe and they were absolutely amazing. The cookies were crunchy particularly with the crispy cornflakes. It was the perfect balance between sweet and salty and I particularly liked that the peanut butter chips did not melt after baking. You get a really intense chocolate hit with the crunchiness and slight saltiness of cornflakes and peanut butter. I can't wait to try different variations of this versatile recipe. 

I'm entering this to AlphaBakes hosted this month by Caroline from Caroline Makes and co-hosted by myself on alternate months. The letter is P for Peanut Butter.



I'm also entering this Bookmarked Recipes hosted by Jacqueline from Tinned Tomatoes. I bookmarked this recipe back in May 2014 and have finally gotten round to making it.




 cream butter and sugars together until you get a pale golden mixture 

 adding peanut butter chips 

 adding cornflakes 

 ready to go in the oven - don't worry if the mixture is a little crumbly 

 delicious! 

Recipe adapted from The Lass in the Apron

113g butter
100g light brown sugar 
70g caster sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons water (use 1 tablespoon at a time)
215g plain flour
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
45g cornflake cereal
283g peanut butter chips (1 bag) 

  • Preheat the oven to 180C
  • Cream the butter and sugars together until smooth. 
  • Add vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon of water. 
  • (Alexandra advises that you leave the mixture to stand for at least 10 mins to help develop the butterscotch notes but I skipped this as I was short on time) 
  • Mix in the flour, cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda. 
  • If necessary, add in the remaining tablespoon of water. The dough will be quite soft and sticky. 
  • Add in the peanut butter chips and mix with a spatula.
  • Finally stir in the cornflakes. 
  • Place a small ice cream scoop of dough spaced apart on a baking tray. Don't worry if the mixture is a little crumbly - just press it firmly into a ball and it will stick together.
  • Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes or until cooked.
  • Allow to cool on the tray before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.  

11 comments:

  1. Peanut butter chips....OMG I'm in heaven!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cornflakes!... peanutbutter chips!... err Hello!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so love Reese's PB goodies. I tried using the mini cups in cookies once and they were a bit of a disaster. The chips look much better, but I don't think I have seen them over here! These cookies sound lush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These came all the way from America. I've not seen them here either. Thanks again for the inspiration.

      Delete
  4. Lovely cookies with my fave baking ingredients, I would probably demolish the lot in one go :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow these look divine... very naughty but nice! You've reminded me my boyfriend's mum is going to America in a few weeks, I need to put in an order!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were absolutely amazing. Yes do put an order in, so many yummy things from across the pond.

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!