It's the 4th Monday of the month which can only mean one thing.... It's Secret Recipe Club Group D Reveal day! I love the Secret Recipe Club and look forward to reveal day every month. The concept is simple - each blog is assigned another blog in secret and the idea is that you choose a recipe to make from your secret blog and reveal it on the same day. It's a great way to discover new blogs and exciting recipes.
This month my assignment is Without Adornment written by Bean. Her favourite hobbies are baking/cooking and photography, both of which she showcases on her blog. She is gluten intolerant and loves to experiment with vegan baking so her blog is a treasure trove of gluten free/dairy free/vegan recipes. I know more and more people with gluten intolerance and food allergies so this was a good opportunity to experiment with recipes and to bake outside my comfort zone.
I had a real nosey round her blog and I do encourage you to pop over and say hi. She writes a beautiful blog with lovely accompanying pictures. I shortlisted a few recipes to try and in the end went with this raspberry bar as it sounded good and I had some fresh raspberries to hand. Her recipe is a gluten and refined sugar free vegan bar. I've made some adjustments as I did not have all the ingredients to hand so mine is not quite gluten free but it's dairy free with minimal refined sugar. I was really pleased that mine turned out almost exactly the same as Bean's. It tastes like a crumble and the sweetened, spiced tart raspberries are the perfect filling. These would be great for lunch boxes or picnics.
Other recipes I shortlisted to try are banana coconut cream pie, Vegan GF strawberry banana loaf with walnuts, Health(ier) Peanut (Not Quite) Brittle and Vegan Polenta Pizza.
Recipe adapted from Without Adornment
55g ground almonds
80 g brown rice flour
55g wholemeal flour
100g spelt flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
50g dark brown sugar
100g coconut oil
450g fresh raspberries
4 - 5 tablespoons honey (adjust to taste)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- In a large bowl, mix the ground almonds, brown rice flour, oats, wholemeal flour, spelt flour, sugar and baking powder.
- Add the coconut oil and rub into the flour mixture with your fingers until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- In a separate bowl, mix the honey, spices and raspberries together.
- Spray a traybake tin with non stick spray. Press more than half the flour mixture into the tin and smooth out the top with a spatula.
- Spoon the raspberry layer on top and finish with the remaining crumble mix.
- Bake for approximately 30 - 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before slicing into squares.