Wednesday 1 February 2012

AlphaBakes Feb 2012: "L"



Welcome to the first ever AlphaBakes, a new blogging challenge which will be hosted on alternate months by me, Ros from The More Than Occasional Baker (host for February) and Caroline from Caroline Makes. This will be a monthly challenge where the aim is to bake with an ingredient that starts with the random alphabet letter chosen for that month.  Anything goes as long as the random letter is predominantly featured in the recipe as one of the main ingredients or flavours or in the name of the bake itself (i .e . not as a garnish, or using 'flour' for the letter F!) A few examples so you get the idea....

A' can be apples, apricots or Anzac cookies
'B' can be banana, bread or a bumblebee cake
'C' can be coconut, cheesecake or a chocolate caramel cupcake
.... the possibilities are endless!

I used a random letter generator http://www.randomlettergenerator.com/ to generate the random letter for this month which is.....

    "L"

 Quite a few things spring to mind immediately but I won't start giving the game away... we want to see what you come up with! So do send in your Lovely, Luscious, Lavish, Light, Lively (?) (grasping at feathers here!) bakes to our AlphaBakes challenge by the 25th of February. Make sure you read the rules carefully and take particular note of 1,3,4 & 8. The most important one is to have fun! :) 


Here's a reminder of the rules which you can also view here 

1. Post your recipe on your blog and link it to The More than Occasional Baker and Caroline Makes, stating the relevant month's host. If you do not have a blog, email us a picture and a brief description of your entry which we will include in the round-up at the end of the month.

2. You can use your own recipe or someone else's recipe. The recipe can be sweet, savoury or a mixture! Anything goes as long as the random letter is predominantly featured in the recipe as one of the main ingredients or flavours or in the name of the bake itself (i .e . not as a garnish , or using 'flour' for the letter F!) You can also republish old posts/recipes but you must include the information for this challenge as stated in these rules.

3. Add the logo to your post and add 'alphabakes' as a label to your post.

4. Email your entries to alphabakes@gmail.com by midnight (GMT) 25th of each month. Please include:

  • Your name (that you want included in the round up or we will use the name of your blog)
  • Your blog post URL
  • Recipe title
  • Photo of recipe (to be included in the round up)

5. You can submit as many entries as you like.

6. You do not have to participate every month to join in.

7. You may submit your entry to other challenges as long as it complies with their rules.

8. If you use twitter, please use the tag #alphabakes and mention @bakingaddict and @Caroline_Makes. We will retweet all those that we see.

9. Have fun! :)

18 comments:

  1. What a great challenge! I have just made Lemon Curd, would this count as I use it IN my bakes and cakes! LOVELY!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. Lemon curd is definitely a great "L" entry.. it's part of my entry unless I change my mind! ps You can enter as many times as you like. X

      Delete
  2. Oh Wow, Ros! This event reminds me of the Picnic Game we play on my blog in June. Such Fun!!! I'm really going to try to play. Thank you so much for hosting...Happy February!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, I would be honoured to have you join in! :)

      Delete
  3. genius challenge idea... i'm sure it will be a huge success!... i'm thinking Lemur stew....?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! it was hard thinking of a new challenge as there are so many out there! Lemur stew might be the most exciting entry!! I won't offer to taste it though ;)

      Delete
  4. That sounds like a great challenge and what an awesome way to gather up a few new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun challenge and using letters gives it such a wide scope too! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased that others think its a good idea too :)

      Delete
  6. fun challenge maybe just do one big post will a linky tool less work for folks :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Rebecca - I hope you will join in too! :) I'll have to investigate this linky tool.

      Delete
  7. I've just posted a Lemon thyme frittata post and wonder if I can submit my post to your event. If ok, I will link this post to your site and will send you the details early next week. I will keep in mind of your event if I'm cooking anything that start with L.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds delicious! Yes please submit it to AlphaBakes and any other L entries you make this month :)

      Delete
  8. It's the month of love, so shouldn't be too difficult ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! It really was a random pick!! Hope to have you join in with us :)

      Delete
  9. Hey there, Would love to enter this month but I have a small question - Can I enter my "Lemon Thyme and Almond Loaf" for Feb. by just sending an email or do I have to edit the post on my blog to add the Alpha Bakes logo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes please enter your Lemon Thyme and Almond Loaf which looks amazing! Could you please add the logo and links as specified above to your blog post and send us an email? Thanks!

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!