Wednesday 22 February 2012

Orange Poppy Seed Mini Muffins



Random Recipes hosted by Dom from Belleau Kitchen celebrates it's 1st birthday this month - congratulations! So Dom has challenged us to cook from the same book we used for our first random recipe challenge. If it's your first time, just cook from any random cookbook. 
Since I was late to the game and have only participated once, I have to cook from the same book which is Williams-Sonoma Essentials of Baking. I am secretly pleased as this is a great book especially for bakers. However I was also slightly anxious that I would get something from the pastry chapter or pies and tarts.  Fortunately, when I let the book fall open to a random page, I got orange-poppy seed mini muffins  :) Dried cherry-chocolate muffins were on the same page but I went with these as I immediately fell in love with the picture in the book. 
It's a fairly basic recipe which was quick and easy to make. No fancy ingredients or equipment required! I did have to go out and buy poppy seeds as the ones I had in my cupboard had expired last year and I wasn't brave enough to use them. 
I love the look and crunch of poppy-seeds. The muffins were moist and full of citrus flavour. I particularly liked the glaze (you can tell I have a sweet tooth!) but you can leave this out if you wish. 




 soak the poppy seeds in milk for 20 minutes before baking - this helps to enhance and deepen their subtle flavour

 not quite enough batter for my mini muffins... 

 .. as I wanted to make some heart shaped ones as well :) 


 delicious!! 

Recipe is taken from Williams-Sonoma Essentials of Baking, page 79 
I followed the recipe exactly as no substitutions were required and was very pleased with the final result :) 

27 comments:

  1. These muffins look so tasty. And I absolutely love your little heart-shaped muffin pan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love the heart shaped tin too although the muffins overflowed a bit!

      Delete
  2. These look gorgeous and so delicious :-) I love the idea of orange and poppyseed. Does the soaking change the texture though, or do they stay crunchy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, they really were very good. The poppy seeds were still crunchy after soaking.

      Delete
  3. The poppy seed give the heart shaped muffins lots of nice polka dots prints and they look so cute :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so cute and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you about poppy seeds they are wonderful and so complimentary with citrus. The muffins look glorious. Beautifully fluffy and I love your silicone moulds they're great aren't they. I'd have to eat these muffins with a cream cheese icing for extra naughtiness! Thanks do much for entering this month. I'm so proud to be celebrating my 1st year of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dom you are a genius! I'll have to make these again with cream cheese frosting!! Congratulations again on a year of a fabulous challenge :)

      Delete
  6. Congrats to Dom too :) These look so nice ~ I didn't know you had to soak poppy seed hehe I eat these type of muffins all the time but hahaha i never thought of making them at home :) Should try sometime hehe HAVE AN AMAZING TIME!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first time I've soaked them and they tasted great!

      Delete
  7. Love these - it's been a long time since I've had poppy-seed muffins and I've never had a glaze over them. But I believe the glaze and orange would definitely elevate the muffins - the more the better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The glaze definitely makes it better :) I also like Dom's idea of cream cheese frosting!

      Delete
  8. I like the look a lot and they must have a nice texture. I really like the idea of the glaze - it makes them look a little old-fashioned but in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love poppy seeds in cakes and bought a packet a couple of weeks ago but haven't go round to using it yet...no excuse now...thanks for sharing.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poppy seeds are great in cakes! Hope you will share your bake with us :)

      Delete
  10. These look amazing, I could go one right now with a cuppa. I'm intrigued by the idea of soaking the poppy seeds and will have to try that next time. Also, I am head over heels in love with your heart-shaped muffin tray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try soaking your poppy seeds and let me know what you think :)

      Delete
  11. Orange and poppyseed is a delicious combination - I even prefer it over lemon and poppyseed, so these look mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very delicious indeed. I usually make lemon and poppyseed but now I'm going to use other citrus flavours :)

      Delete
  12. I believe this will help your website become more organized because you have decided to set a part on this site for the inquiries regarding tax and as well as the helpful discussions. To be honest, this is one of the few sites that are doing this kind of strategy. Also, I think that this will not only benefit your clients or the potential ones buy marketing assignment online but you most especially because you will be able to see the questions easier.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is good to hear that your store is now expanding to new locations. I have been a patron of Fantastic Eyes because of all the wonderful work that you guys do. I hope that this expansion move of yours will turn out to be successful. I will definitely go and see this new assignment writer uk store of yours

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a good idea for people who actually have some questions or inquiries about this topic. I am so excited to see the discussions that will be made on this thread regarding taxes. I have to say that this kind of topic should really be discussed thoroughly to people help with assignment writing uk who finds it helpful so that there won't be no confusions anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was so good to see you acknowledging this topic, it really feels great. Thanks for sharing such a valuable information which is very hard to find normally. I have subscribed to your website and will pay to write my dissertation be promoting it to my friends and other people as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your writing style is exceptional. It manages to be both professional and relatable, making the content accessible to a broad audience.Clicks per second Test: Where every click feels like a victory, and the journey is just as thrilling as the destination.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!