Saturday 11 February 2012

Cranberry and banana bread


I've been baking with bananas.... again! I still have at least 2 more banana posts to share with you when I get  round to it. I discovered a new blogging challenge hosted by turquoise lemons called the No Waste Food Challenge and the theme for this month is... yes you guessed it... bananas!! How could I possibly not enter? So here's my first entry which is a recipe I saw on Rolling Pin Tales which was adapted from Joy the Baker, another awesome blog. 
The changes I made were to use dried cranberries as I didn't have any fresh ones (note : reduce sugar amounts slightly as dried cranberries are usually sweetened) and to add a sprinkling of oats on top for a healthier look and taste :) Everyone really enjoyed this bread. The spelt flour and the oats definitely made it seem very healthy and the cranberries paired well with the bananas. 




 ready to go in the oven 

 fresh from the oven 

 delicious! 


3 large or 4 medium bananas, mashed
70g butter, melted and cooled slightly
40g white sugar *
60g brown sugar*
1 egg beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
120g plain flour
115g spelt flour
100g dried cranberries
Handful of oats for the topping (optional) 

* sugar amounts are slightly reduced from original, if using fresh cranberries, I would recommend adding 10-20g sugar depending on taste. 

  • Preheat the oven to 180C. 
  • Mash the bananas and stir in the butter.
  • Add the egg.
  • In a separate bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together, adding the flours at the end.
  • Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture until combined.
  • Pour into a loaf tin and sprinkle the oats on top if using.
  • Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  • If the loaf browns too much, cover with foil after about 45 minutes. 
  • Allow to cool on a wire rack.

28 comments:

  1. What a great challenge! Plus I love banana recipes. Looking forward to your other two...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a great challenge. Make sure you check back later for my other banana recipes - they will be different from what I've made previously :)

      Delete
  2. Yay! I love bananas so definitely keep the recipes coming! :) Is that a silicon mould? Do you like using them more than the hard tin ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's a silicone loaf tin which I love. I don't actually have a metal loaf tin.

      Delete
  3. Lovely. Looks totally scrumptious and fairly healthy. Thank you for entering my challenge. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fab, really does. Good thinking with the oats on top, good way to fool yourself into thinking its uber healthy- I put them on Caramel Cheesecake (not!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks... I looked and it and thought it needed a little 'extra something' :)

      Delete
  5. Looks lovely and a great way to use up bananas and my glut of cranberries! Yummy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really quick and easy recipe with good results. Do give it a try!

      Delete
  6. Love the hearty look of this tasty loaf. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely moist bread - stuffed full of plump fruit... I love it - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh ... this is the type of bread that I just love. When I make it, I may not share it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha... I probably ate about half of this loaf myself!!

      Delete
  9. I love banana bread. The cranberries make the better even more delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks really good! A healthy & energetic bread to start the day. Will surely try this recipe, my boys love breads! Have a lovely weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they will like it as much as I have. It was very good breakfast food :)

      Delete
  11. This looks lovely. I wish more of my family liked bananas in cake....sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to eat it yourself or convert them! ;)

      Delete
  12. I love banana bread! Love the addition of cinnamon and nutmeg - two of my favourite spices! What a healthy way to start a week! Thanks for sharing (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cinnamon and nutmeg go really well with bananas.

      Delete
  13. Oh good I need another recipe for manky banana's you can only have so much choc and banana cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have lots of banana recipes and plenty more to share! :)

      Delete
  14. These are two of my favorite things and I have seriously never considered combining them (slaps head here). Thank you for sharing!
    Found your blog through #chocolatelove and am so glad I did. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Bananas and cranberry go very well together - do give it a try :)

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!