Sunday 19 February 2012

Save the Children Name A Day Campaign : Kiwi and Lime Bundt Cake


This is a slightly different post to normal. Yes there is still cake involved but I'd like to take the time to talk about an important issue. Cake and hunger are not two words you would normally put together but this is how I can make a difference by raising awareness and spreading the word through what I can do - baking.

Did you know that in a world with food enough for everybody, 300 children die of malnutrition every hour of every single day? 

This month's Pink Whisk Challenge is dedicated to Save the Children and the Hidden Hunger Campaign. Ruth says "I would love for you to donate a recipe. The theme for the challenge is ‘Family Favourites’, recipes you enjoy making and that you love to share, there’s nothing more to it than that – it doesn’t even have to be baking (I hope you realise how much that hurt me to write!)  All recipes gathered for the challenge will be collated and published in a Save the Children e-book which will be sold to raise awareness and funds for the campaign."

Read about Ruth's firsthand experience in Rwanda here and here.

Save the children asks that you name a day to beat hunger. They want the Prime Minister to host a world hunger summit aimed at making the global food system work for the millions of children going hungry.
All you have to do is name a day and when your day comes round, they’ll ask you to take one of five simple actions – from sending a tweet to cooking a meal – to help spread the word about this devastating crisis. I've named my day. Will you? 




This cake is not strictly a family favourite (but I'm sure it will be!) as I wanted to create my own recipe for this challenge.  My dad used to study in New Zealand which made me think of kiwis.  It's not a fruit I've ever baked with before so I thought it would be a good challenge.  It's very similar to my lemon and raspberry cake which worked well so I decided to modify it for this. I love making smoothies with lime, kiwi and honey so I thought why not make it into a cake? 
I tried to blitz the whole lime but it didn't work out so I used lime juice and lime zest instead.  There's whole kiwi fruit and pureed kiwi fruit in the batter.  It's quite a dense, moist sponge with the freshness of the fruit and the citrus tang from the limes. It was delicious with the glaze but you can have it plain if you prefer.   

 adding kiwi to the batter - I forgot to coat the kiwis in flour first so they sank to the bottom, well top as this was a bundt cake :( 

 I also added some kiwi puree

 thought it was a good time to use my new bundt tin

 love the heart shapes :) 

 add glaze... 

 delicious! you can see the kiwis at the top of the cake! 

An original recipe by me, bakingaddict
Makes 1 small bundt cake as shown

For the cake
150g yoghurt
140g caster sugar
40g honey
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
180g self raising flour
Juice and zest of 2 limes
4 kiwi fruit - peeled and chopped into 1/8
1 kiwi fruit - peeled and pureed

For the glaze
50g icing sugar
1-2 tablespoon lime juice 

  • Preheat the oven to 180C
  • Butter and flour your bundt pan or line normal cake tin with greaseproof paper. 
  • In a large bowl, mix together the yoghurt, sugar, honey, eggs, vanilla extract and oil. 
  • Add in the lime juice and zest. 
  • Stir in the flour and mix well.
  • Coat the chopped kiwi fruit in 1-2 tablespoons of flour then add to the batter. 
  • Puree 1 kiwi fruit and stir into the batter. 
  • Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 40-45 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  • Allow to cool on a wire rack.
  • To make the glaze, sift the icing sugar into a bowl. 
  • Add enough lime juice to make a glaze of dripping consistency. 




25 comments:

  1. Hey Ros ;) it's so nice that you're baking for such a good cause and I think we should all help those in need ~ This is a lovely cake and I really want that BUNDT tin! I don't own one so i think it's time i invested in a good one :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daisy - really appreciate your ongoing support :) I love this bundt tin too, its my first time using it.

      Delete
  2. Ros, this is an awesome post and I'm off to find out more about Save the Children to see if I can participate from the US. Thank you for sharing this...

    I have also nominated you for a Liebster Award - because you and your blog are awesome and ever so deserving of more love. Check my blog for details and please do pass on the love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Its always a bit nerve wrecking writing something like this as people fall into 2 camps - ignore and look away or join in! Thank you so much for the award, I am honoured :)

      Delete
  3. Great post! Very informative and thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I was a bit nervous about the cake and the post but am very glad I did it :)

      Delete
  4. Such a great cause, and such an interesting flavour combo! I too love your bundt tin, where did you get it from? I want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks!I'm really pleased the flavours worked well in the cake, its a bit on the wet side so I will make further changes next time. The bundt tin is from lakeland but they dont make these anymore :(

      Delete
  5. A great inspiring post. The cake looks fantastic - I love your tin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope it raises more awareness amongst us. Glad you like the cake too :)

      Delete
  6. Well done... a very worthy post!

    I've just finished my AlphaBakes entry...I'm also making my first Bundt this week...any tips for getting it out of the tin or stopping it sticking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! Look forward to your AlphaBakes entry :) You have to butter (i use a pastry brush) then flour the tin well. Make sure you shake out the excess flour. I bought a can of cake release spray but have not tried it yet. So far no problems with butter and flour. Good luck!

      Delete
  7. I can really appreciate your kindness and intention. I think we are very lucky that we have everything that we need for living. A very inspiring post!

    Btw, your cake looks amazing! Every single of your cake is packed with lots of kiwi inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I feel very lucky myself and would like to extend help to others in need. The cake is not perfect and not my best but it was made with good intentions :)

      Delete
  8. A great cause and certainly something urgent enough for us to want to take action too. Your bundt tin is lovely-do you know what brand it is? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine! I got this bundt tin from a UK company called Lakeland ages ago. Unfortunately they don't sell them anymore.

      Delete
  9. Love your new tin!

    Great cake for a great cause

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I am loving bundt tins at the moment :)

      Delete
  10. What a great recipe for a very, very important issue x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was fun coming up with my own recipe even though it was not as successful as I'd hoped.

      Delete
  11. What an exotic sounding cake, I love the sound of the glaze. A brilliant bundt tin, I still need to buy one!

    An interesting post. Although the majority of us are worried about the state of the British economy we have to remember to be grateful for what we have as there are so many less fortunate elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wanted to make something different so I came up with this! :) I think it is important to stop and appreciate what we have. It's a cliche but every little does help and I am glad to be able to do my bit (especially if it involves cake!)

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. thanks! its not as good as my other cakes but it was still pretty tasty :)

      Delete
  13. Thanks so much for taking part in our campaign to end child hunger. Your recipe is v.much appreciated! Rosie, Save the Children

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!