Monday 20 February 2012

AlphaBakes: Lavender Shortbread


My second entry to this month's AlphaBakes are these lovely, crumbly lavender shortbread.  I wanted to make something from my new book Tea with Bea as I have recently discovered Bea's of Bloomsbury and keep going back for amazing cake! I used to work near a branch but never made it there and now when I work miles away I make a special trip for cake. Ah the irony :)  If you live in London or are visiting London, I would highly recommend having afternoon tea there. My favourites from what I have tried so far are the scones, salted caramel cupcake, peanut butter cheesecake and the homemade marshmallow (coming from someone who does not like marhsmallows). 

AlphaBakes is a new blogging challenge hosted this month by me and on alternate months by Caroline from Caroline Makes.  The idea is to bake with a random letter selected for the month. It can be the name of a bake or the actual ingredient of your bake. This month we are baking with "L" and L is for ... Lavender! I was quite excited as I've never baked with lavender before. I bought a bottle specially for this challenge but I'm sure I'll be using it again. It's quite a subtle flavour in this bake but everyone enjoyed it. I was told by my Scottish colleague that I can sell these shortbread in Scotland so I think they passed the taste test :) 



 I got this from Fortnum & Mason

 adding lavender to the sugar

 beating into the butter 


 perfect with a cup of tea :) 

Recipe from Tea with Bea
70g caster sugar plus extra for sprinkling
2 tablespoons icing sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried lavender  (I used 1 teaspoon)
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
350g butter, softened
350g flour

  • Preheat the oven to 145C. 
  • Using an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, mix the sugars, salt and lavender buds for a few minutes until the sugar smell of lavender. 
  • Beat in the butter until light and fluffy as shown in the picture. 
  • Finally fold in the flour. 
  • Pour the mixture into a square baking pan and level the top.
  • Sprinkle liberally with caster sugar on top. 
  • Bake for 40-55 minutes until the top is golden brown. 
  • Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. 
  • Cut into squares and store in an air tight container. 



26 comments:

  1. I have never made anything with edible lavender. I will have to look for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my first time and it won't be the last. I'm going to make a jar of lavender sugar and I want to find some lavender essence next.

      Delete
  2. I've never made anything with lavender and I must admit the thought is a bit intimidating. Because I'm not even sure what it tastes like. I admire your bravery in taking on this ingredient - and with such success...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always associate lavender with soaps and pot pourri! I love trying new things and experimenting with new flavours. I think a lavender and lemon cupcake would work well too....

      Delete
  3. I must admit I've never baked with lavender either although I received some lavender chocolates for christmas which unfortunately I thought tasted like soap :( Your shortbread looks so lusciously buttery and crumbly that I'd be more than willing to give it a second chance.

    An odd question Ros but do you remember what size of eggs you used when you baked the Edd Kimber Raspberry Ripple cake a few months ago? I'm thinking about baking it for a birthday this week and the recipe only specifies a size for the eggs in the frosting, not the sponge. Since your sponge looked lovely I thought I'd ask you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lavender in this shortbread was very subtle. Some people didn't even notice! It was very pleasant and I'd definitely make it again.
      I used normal eggs for the raspberry ripple cake - they are not sized as I get them from the local butcher. ps Make sure you keep whipping the frosting even if it separates, just keep whipping :) It was a really lovely cake, look forward to seeing yours :)

      Delete
  4. What an enticing recipe, Ros. Lavender as an ingredient in baking always intrigues me. I have experienced Lavender Ice Cream and Pound Cake but never Shortbread. I'm saving this recipe for sure!

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh lavender ice cream sounds nice. Thanks for stopping by... always nice to see you :)

      Delete
  5. I have never baked with lavender before, I would be interested to see how it taste. Your shortbread looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lavender flavour was very subtle but lovely. When I was baking it the lavender sugar smelt really good :)

      Delete
  6. oooh they look so good!... I love baking with lavender as it gives off a gentle pungentness that is quite wicked I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it really does and I'm thinking what to make next with my little stash of lavender :)

      Delete
  7. Now I need to get some lavender - they look wonderful, I bet the taste is just amazing. I vaguely remember having lavender shortbread somewhere before, or maybe I'm thinking of something else. In any case, I had some sort of lavender biscuit and it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked the lavender biscuit, you'll definitely like these shortbread! :)

      Delete
  8. Yum! I love baking with lavender. These shortbread look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, I'm definitely baking with lavender again.

      Delete
  9. Oh these look divine, really buttery and crumbly and delicious. Love shortbread. Haven't yet made lavender shortbread, but have made a lavender chocolate cake and Nigella's lavender cupcakes - both good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lavender chocolate cake sounds good!! I'm thinking lemon and lavender cupcakes next.

      Delete
  10. I'm not always convinced about lavender in food but I have really enjoyed lavender shortbread in the past and yours look really good. I'm still slightly shocked to come across someone who doesn't like marshmallows, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL theres a lot I don't like! My friend once told me that she would slap me if I started another sentence with "I don't like... " I did however enjoy these and will definitely make them again.

      Delete
  11. --This is what the Angels savor.

    Lovely. absoutely devine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh lavender sounds interesting, would love to give this recipe a try sometime! And I've read a lot about Bea's. Will definitely pay a visit next time I pop over to London!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do give Bea's a try and let me know what you think :)

      Delete
  13. lavendar short bread sounds wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Ros :) These look so nice~ I've never baked with lavendar but I love how it smells ~ I'm gonna do some baking tomorrow! I need to join this event!!! Have an amazing time :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cant wait to see what you make for us!! You should try baking with lavender - I'm a new convert :)

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!