Sunday 5 February 2012

Chocolatelove - Chocolate Malteser Nutella Cake


February is #chocolatelove month! As you know I LOVE chocolate so I was really excited to co-host this bloghop with lots of other fantastic bloggers (check them out below). Plus it's February which is the month associated with love and chocolate so it was a tough choice deciding what to make. I have countless chocolate recipes but when I saw this in a book that I recently borrowed from my local library I knew that this was the perfect recipe. Coincidentally February 5th is World Nutella Day. I also LOVE nutella and have been known to eat it straight from the jar! (I'm sure I'm not the only one even if you don't want to admit it!)


For all the nutella recipes you can possibly imagine, check out Ms Adventures in Italy and Bleeding Espresso who are the co-hosts of World Nutella Day 

This recipe is really quick and easy to make. It's a mix everything together recipe (you don't even have to get your mixer out for this but it helps). Spread some nutella, fill with crushed maltesers then frost with a chocolate ganache and decorate! I followed the recipe exactly and was really pleased with the results. The cake was light and moist and you can taste the nutella and maltesers. In hindsight, I would add some nutella to the cake batter and frosting next time but perhaps it would be overkill :) 

Please join in on the #chocolatelove fun by linking up any chocolate recipe from the month of February 2012. Don't forget to link back to this post, so that your readers know to come stop by the #chocolatelove event! The twitter hashtag is #chocolatelove :).


 my giant jar of nutella :) 

 spread nutella over the cake 

 add crushed maltesers

 love the ganache dripping down the side... 


 enjoy :) 

Recipe from Cake Magic by Kate Shirazi

For the cake
200g self raising flour
25g cocoa powder
225g caster sugar
225g butter
4 eggs

For the filling
Approx 4-6 tablespoons nutella (I just spread it on, no need to measure!)
135g maltesers, roughly crushed

For the ganache
200g milk chocolate
100ml double or whipping cream

  • Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • Grease and line 2 x 20cm sandwich tins
  • Mix all the ingredients for the cake together and pour into the tins.
  • Bake for 15-20 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  • Allow to cool on a wire rack.
  • Roughly crush the maltesers (I put them in a ziplock bag and roughly bashed with a rolling pin).
  • Spread the nutella on top of one cake.
  • Add the crushed maltesers on top.
  • Place other cake on top and press down gently.
  • To make the ganache, heat all the ingredients for the ganache in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. 
  • When it's melted, remove from the heat and whisk it for a few minutes.
  • Pour over the top of the cake.
  • Decorate as desired - I used maltesers and star sprinkles here. 


Make sure you visit the following co-hosts for more #chocolatelove: 


73 comments:

  1. I don't think there's enough chocolate on that cake!!!???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL so it was probably a good thing I didnt add more nutella to the batter and ganache then ;)

      Delete
  2. Did I hear right? Nutella AND maltesers? I've died and gone to cake heaven.

    I am not ashamed to admit I eat nutella straight from the jar. It never makes it way towards a slice of toast or baking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way when I saw the recipe! I always have to buy 'extra' nutella - 1 for me, 1 for the cake (clearly giant jar is for me and small jar is for cake!)

      Delete
  3. Oh my heaven - chocolate heaven this is. And I cannot believe I'm just finding out now that it's World Nutella Day??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made my first brownies this wk with nutella...I am hooked! This recipie sounds like a chocolte lovers dream!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following. Brownies with nutella sounds great!

      Delete
  5. Wow, that is quite a yummy looking cake, I love nutella but I can't keep it in the house it disappears to fast :) I bet this was so delish with a big glass of milk! sending you #chocolatelove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to buy extra nutella for that reason :)

      Delete
  6. Oh my - the boys would love this, chocolate, nutella and maltesers in one cake? Yummy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that looks like one very tasty and very moreish cake. If I'm quick, looks like there might be a slice for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. only if you're super quick... they disappeared faster than you can say chocolate malteser nutella cake! ;)

      Delete
  8. Yes you definitely should! My sisters brought me regular variety, honey variety and cinnamon variety when they went to Cali in August and those 3 boxes have lasted me til now so they go a long way! This cake sounds and looks incredible! You have decorated it so beautifully and the frosting is super smooth! I'm especially loving that crushed maltesers layer in the middle of the cake - totally decadent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I can't wait!! then I will be baking all your recipes :) I was rather pleased with the decoration too and yes its a very decadent cake!

      Delete
  9. This looks absolutely delicious! Save me a slice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my God!!!!
    I feel surrounded by loads of chocolate!! :-D

    Absolutely sensational, great hop this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, I thought I'd push the boat out for #chocolatelove :)

      Delete
  11. Oh my!Looks heavenly delicious with Nutella & maltesers too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Delicious and beautiful!!Absolutely droolworthy!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This cake might as well be named "Awesome cake" as that's what it is!

    ReplyDelete
  14. YUMMY! I have just decided to dip my maltesers in Nutella tomorrow :) I love the combination and stars~ it's so pretty hehe love all your cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wowzaa!! That is one sublime cake- and it couldn't be more perfect for World Nutella Day! Do you do mailorder?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL im not sure it will arrive in one piece! :)

      Delete
  16. Oh my truly Death by chocolate! No wonder you are up to all hours with these stunning creations! Yes I think cake by mail is a great idea Kate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL cake by mail! I will be asking you and Kate for cake in return! :)

      Delete
  17. What a great cake! But how could I have missed that today is world nutella day??

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha, I gotta admit I'm not the hugest fan of Nutella on its own, but when it's with stuff then I'm all for it - this looks scrummy... especially the Malteasers in the middle too... lovely, crunchy touch :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! theres actually not that much nutella in this cake, just spread in between which you can substitute for chocolate ganache. I love the maltesers too :)

      Delete
  19. I totally forgot that today was World Nutella Day because I was so wrapped up in the Super Bowl! This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! yes I've seen a lot of stuff for super bowl and nutella day today :)

      Delete
  20. We love eating Nutella and Nutella day will be a great excuse for me to cook or bake with Nutella :D I can't stop admiring the pic showing the ganache dripping at the edges of the cake...Your Nutella cake look very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the pic of the ganache dripping down as well. Nutella day is definitely a good excuse to cook and bake and eat Nutella! :)

      Delete
  21. Aargh, too much chocolate - I'm supposed to be on a diet! Though as you say February is the month of love and therefore also the month of chocolate... and you know where I'm taking my boyfriend for Valentine's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do! Have a great time :) This really is chocolate on chocolate but you don't hear me complaining ;)

      Delete
  22. be still my heart! its like the ultimate cake! amazing creation

    ReplyDelete
  23. that looks like a great combination, I have to try it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow i can't believe you drizzled nutella and malt candy balls into this cake!!! what a decadent delight! sending some #chocolatelove to u!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and great choice for love bloghop this month :)

      Delete
  25. Wow you did a great job! that looks like the most amazing chocolate cake! I will definitely have to try and make it - really like the sound of adding nutella and maltesers!! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do give it a try, its worth it :) thanks for dropping by my blog.

      Delete
  26. Goodness me!!

    That is a Malteser cake and a half!!!

    nom nom nom

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a fabulous, decadent cake! LOVE it! Sending you some #chocolatelove :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a fabulous idea! The cake looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nutella + Cake = One very happy Chele ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nutella + Cake = equally happy bakingaddict :)

      Delete
  30. Hey, love your blog so I've awarded you a Liebster Award...

    http://lauralovescakes.blogspot.com/2012/02/liebster-blog-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Laura! My first blog award, how exciting :)

      Delete
  31. Wow,
    Nutella, chocolate cake and candy malt balls, a true chocolate delight, all in one bite;)
    Great job!
    Sending #chcolatelove your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a choc-a-holic's dream! thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  32. No way to you could go wrong with Nutella! Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  33. oh my, this is lovely! can i substitute snickers instead of maltesers? :)

    nice to meet you via lovebloghop :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can definitely use snickers - just chop it up roughly and sprinkle on the cake. Sending you some #chocolatelove

      Delete
  34. This is crazy amazing! Malted milk balls AND nutella! What I would do for a cake like this on any occasion! What a great #chocolatelove and nutella day treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a little over the top but it's #chocolatelove and it was world nutella day!

      Delete
  35. Wow, this cake looks INTENSE! Great job with the #chocolatelove post, I can't wait to see more of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It really was very chocolatey but delicious :)

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!