The cake itself is a light, peppermint flavoured sponge. I alternated red and white sponge to create a candy cane effect.
I made a few variations of this during December mainly trying out different frostings and colours. I still can't decide if the red & green or the white frosting looks better. Any thoughts?
For the cupcakes:
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1.5 tsp peppermint extract
1 cup plain flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 red food colouring
For the cream cheese frosting:
300g icing sugar, sifted
50g unsalted butter, at room temperature
125g cold cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- In a large bowl, mix together the eggs and sugar until light and creamy.
- Stir in milk, vegetable oil, vanilla and peppermint extracts.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Pour into wet ingredients and whisk just until batter is smooth.
- Measure out 1 cup of batter and place it back in the medium bowl.
- Add red food colouring to this bowl and mix well.
- Put a spoonful of the white batter into each cupcake case. Put a spoonful of red batter in the centre of the white.
- Alternate spoonfuls of the two batters until all the batter has been used up.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until a tester inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.\I used cream cheese frosting - white/red/green and decorated with crushed candy cane and edible glitter.