We also decided to make a gingerbread house which didnt turn out too badly considering it was the first time either of us had made one. I tried to make stained glass windows but they were less successful than my stained glass cookies coming up in another post.
For the gingerbread:
125g unsalted butter, softened
110g dark brown sugar
2.5 cups plain flour, sifted
1 egg yolk
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
4-6 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp mixed spice
270mls golden syrup
- Preheat the oven to 160C
- Beat butter, sugar and egg yolk in a bowl until smooth
- Stir in the remaining ingredients until its mixed properly
- You may need to add a little more golden syrup if the mixture is crumbly
- Knead the dough on a floured surface and roll it out to approximately 5mm in thickness.
- Cut shapes using cookie cutters (or templates for the gingerbread house)
- Place on a baking tray and bake for approximately 12-15 minutes until they are brown
- Cookies will harden once cool
- Let your imagination run wild- decorate and enjoy!