Friday 1 October 2010

Dark Indulgent Chocolate and Walnut Brownies


Friday 24th September 2010 was the World's Biggest Coffee Morning in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support. So far, they've raised £1,880,000 . Please check out their website and donate online if you can, it's for a really good cause. 
I made these brownies and a few other baked goodies (victoria sandwich and chocolate chip flapjacks) for the event. I think the brownies were the favourite. I got a new cookbook for my birthday 'Mary Berry's ultimate cake book' and I made all my recipes from there. I've made quite a few brownies in my time and I have to say these were absolutely amazing!! I love dark chocolate and the addition of coffee and nuts made it even better. You have to give this recipe a try.
Speaking of brownies, I will also be entering this recipe (with some modifications) to the Great Brownie Bake Off which is taking place on Saturday 9th October 2010 at Look Mum No Hands Cafe, 49 Old Street, EC1V 9HX. Do come along for lots of brownies as well as a chance to sample mine or enter your very own brownie recipe! Click on the link for more details. I will also be selling other baked goods on the day and donating most of the proceeds to cycle charity, Wheels for Wellbeing


melt chocolate and butter 

walnuts 

mix coffee, eggs and sugar 


add chocolate mixture 

fold in flour, chocolate chips and walnuts 

ready to go in the oven 




love the crispy top :) 

350g plain chocolate, broken into pieces
225g butter
2 teaspoons instant coffee
2 tablespoons hot water
3 extra large eggs
225g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
75g self-raising flour
175g walnut pieces, chopped
225g plain chocolate chips 

  • Preheat the oven to 190C.
  • Grease and base line a 12 x 9 in roasting pan with greaseproof paper.
  • Melt the chocolate and butter slowly in a bowl over a pan of hot water, stirring occasionally. 
  • Allow to cool.
  • Dissolve the coffee in the hot water.
  • In another bowl, mix together the coffee, eggs, sugar and vanilla essence. 
  • Gradually beat in the chocolate mixture. 
  • Fold in the flour, walnuts and chocolate chips and pour the mixture into the prepared tin. 
  • Bake in the pre-heated oven for 40-45 minutes or until firm to the touch and a dull crust has formed. 
  • Leave to cool in the tin. 


4 comments:

  1. HOw wonderful to participate in such a good cause :). I really hope you win the bake off with your indulgent brownies daaaaahling! I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for you! Let us know how it goes.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing brownies! They look so rich, chocolaty and delicious! Thanks for this recipe, I'll be making them as soon as I get the necessary chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These brownies look so fudgy. It's enough to give anyone a craving for chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you can never have too many brownies or too many brownie recipes. I do have the odd disappointment, but am usually convinced that the latest one I've tried is the best.

    Don't want to plug anything unduly, but thought you might be interested in our "we should cocoa challenge" (please ignore if you've already looked and decided it's not for you) - http://choclogblog.blogspot.com/2010/10/we-should-cocoa-october-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!