When Caroline announced that this month's AlphaBakes letter is 'J', I struggled to think of J related bakes apart from jam. I thought last month's 'N' was quite challenging (check out the amazing entries here) but I think J is even harder than N! Caroline has already posted homemade Jaffa cakes using the same recipe I bookmarked so I thought I'd try something different and came up with Jasmine green Tea cupcakes. I used the hummingbird bakery earl grey cupcakes recipe but substituted earl grey for jasmine green tea. I also added 1 teabag of leaves to the batter for extra flavour. The result was subtle but delicious. You can't really taste the tea at first especially if you eat it with the frosting but if you let the cake sit for a while in your mouth then you can definitely taste the tea.
I made these cupcakes for my last day at work (yes I know I recently left my old job and started this one but this job was only for 1 month. I have a new permanent job next year - more details to follow). I wanted to make them special so I decided to try out different piping techniques. I baked 75 cupcakes that evening - 1 batch of jasmine green tea, 1 batch of lemon cupcakes, 1 batch of chocolate cupcakes and my Polka Dot Pudsey Cupcakes. It took me hours and hours to bake and decorate but it was worth it :) I really wanted to try piping a chrysanthemum but discovered I didn't have the correct piping tips (guess what's going on my Christmas wish list?) so you may see them here in the future.
As mentioned, I'm entering these to AlphaBakes hosted this month by Caroline from Caroline Makes and co hosted by myself on alternate months. The theme is J for Jasmine Green Tea.
I'm also entering these to Tea Time Treats hosted by Karen from Lavender and Lovage and Kate from What Kate Baked. They are celebrating their first birthday so the theme is cake. I think these flower cupcakes would be perfect for a birthday celebration!
Mix the butter, sugar, flour, baking powder and salt in an electric mixer until it resembles fine breadcrumbs
Jasmine Green Tea Cupcakes
Makes 14 cupcakes
4 Jasmine Green Tea teabags
3 tablespoons just-boiled water
80g butter, softened
280g caster sugar
240g plain flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ tsp salt
2 large eggs
- Brew a strong cup of tea by placing 3 teabags in 3 tablespoons of just boiled water for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Mix the butter, sugar, flour, baking powder and salt in an electric mixer until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Whisk the eggs and milk together then add in the brewed tea, squeezing every last drop from the teabags.
- Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients slowly and continue mixing until smooth.
- Cut open 1 teabag and add leaves to the batter (optional).
- Don't worry if the batter looks liquid - it will still turn into beautiful cakes!
- Fill cupcake cases 2/3 full.
- Bake for 18 - 20 minutes or until well risen and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.