This is the first of my planned Halloween bakes this month. I love Halloween and try and bake something different each year. On my recent trip to America, I came across these limited edition candy corn oreos and decided to incorporate them into a brownie. I used my favourite fudgy brownie recipe and it worked a treat. The brownies have a crisp edge with a fudgy, gooey centre and the candy corn oreos add colour and crunch. These were given away as a gift and were very well received.
I'm entering this to several challenges this month. Firstly to AlphaBakes which I am hosting this month and co-host with Caroline from Caroline Makes. The letter is C for Candy Corn Oreo.
I'm also sending this to Treat Petite hosted by Stuart from Cakeyboi and Kat from The Baking Explorer. The theme this month is Halloween.
And to Calendar Cakes hosted by Rachel from Dolly Bakes and Laura from Laura Loves Cakes. The theme this month is also Halloween.
Flavors of USA hosted by Emma from Souperior and Nayna of Simply Food. These candy corn oreos came from America so I think this is quite fitting.
I'm also sending this to Let's Celebrate Halloween on Just Not the Cakes which is hosted by Shey who asks us to link up any Halloween related recipe.
Addendum 22/11/13 - I've been awarded the best recipe award for the event "Let's Celebrate Halloween" - thank you!
170g chocolate, roughly chopped
80g cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
approximately 17 Candy Corn oreo cookies (plus extra to munch on whilst baking), roughly chopped.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- In a medium sized pan, melt the butter and chocolate.
- Then whisk in the sugar, salt and vanilla extract.
- Continue mixing until you get a smooth mixture then remove from heat and set aside for a few minutes.
- Whisk in the eggs one at a time and then the flour and cocoa powder until you get a fudgy mixture as shown.
- Stir in 12 of the chopped candy corn oreos, reserving the rest to sprinkle on top.
- Pour the mixture into a square baking pan and sprinkle the remaining 5 chopped candy corn oreos on top.
- Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes until the top is crisp and the edges are cooked.
- Allow to cool in the pan.
- Slice and enjoy!