I had some friends round for a meal recently and I planned a Thai/Asian themed meal. I was debating what to make for dessert when my mum suggested a lemongrass and lime sorbet. She tested the recipe and I tweaked it further to come up with this recipe. I've never made my own sorbet before and it's actually really simple. I'll definitely be making lots of sorbet especially in the summer months. I made some lime jelly to go with the sorbet and my guests were really impressed. The lemongrass flavour is subtle and you can definitely taste the lime. The sorbet was really refreshing and the jelly provided a different texture and addtional lime flavour to the dessert.
I'm entering this to AlphaBakes which I am hosting with Caroline from Caroline Makes who hosts on alternate months. The letter this month is S for sorbet.
I'm also sending this to Bloggers Scream For Ice Cream hosted by Kavey from Kavey Eats. This is my first time entering this challenge as I've never made ice creams or sorbets before. The theme this months is dairy free which is perfect for my sorbet recipe.
An original recipe by bakingaddict
Makes approximately 500mls
150g caster sugar
6 stalks lemongrass
juice and zest of 4 limes
1 egg white (optional)
1 pack of lime jelly to serve (optional)
- Cut the lemongrass in half or thirds. Use the back of a knife to bash the firm end of the lemongrass. You should get a strong lemongrass fragrance.
- Place the water, sugar and lemongrass in a pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes to allow the lemongrass flavour to infuse.
- Zest and juice 4 limes. Keep the zest aside for now.
- After the sugar syrup has cooled, add the lime juice and stir.
- Allow to cool completely before adding the lime zest.
- Add in the egg white if using.
- Place in a container and freeze for a few hours but preferably overnight.
- Make up the lime jelly if using following the instructions on the packet.
- Scrape the frozen mixture with a fork to loosen and place into a food processor.
- Whizz until it's white and smooth.
- Place it back in the same container and freeze again until set.
- Serve with lime jelly and a wedge of fresh lime.