My second attempt at making chiffon cake which turned out even better than the first :) I made an orange one this time using my mum's recipe and it tasted much nicer than the chocolate one. Everyone loved it. It was really light, moist, spongy and citrusy.
5 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
100g caster sugar
Egg yolk batter
5 egg yolks
252g plain flour
3 teaspoon baking powder
152g caster sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup cooking oil
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
zest of 2 oranges
- Make egg white foam by beating egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Add the sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Sieve flour, baking powder and salt twice and set aside.
- Add egg yolks, orange juice and orange zest, oil and water and beat until well mixed.
- Blend into egg white foam gently until everything is incorporated.
- Pour batter in an UNGREASED 22cm tube pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 130C for 35 minutes then 160C for a further 25minutes.
- Remove from the oven and invert the cake tin onto a wire rack.
- Allow to cool completely before unmoulding from tin.