Sunday 19 December 2010

Banana and honey teabread




I actually made this a few weeks ago but have not had a chance to post about it.  This is a simple recipe from Mary Berry.  I love the addition of nutmeg which really complements the banana flavour. I still can't decide on my favourite banana bread recipe and I have tried quite a few! I seem to always have over-ripe bananas and they almost always get turned into cake or bread.
Do you have a favourite banana bread recipe?


 mash bananas 

 rub flour, nutmeg and butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs  

 Add the other ingredients 

 ready to go in the oven 


 delicious! 


225g self raising flour
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
100g butter
3 bananas
100g caster sugar
grated rind of 1 lemon
2 extra large eggs
6 tablespoons thick honey


  • Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • Lightly grease and base line a 900g loaf tin with greased greaseproof paper.
  • Measure the flour and nutmeg into a large bowl and rub in the butter using the fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
  • Peel and mash the bananas and stir into the flour mixture with the sugar, lemon rind, eggs and honey.
  • Beat well until evenly mixed, then turn into the prepared tin and level the surface.
  • Bake in the preheated oven for 1 and 1/4 hours or until a fine skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ros. I've been looking at this recipe and wondering if it would be okay to add walnuts to it. I like the texture of nuts in a cake/tea bread but don't want to mess up the balance of flavours so would appreciate your thoughts, as you've made so many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be absolutely fine to add walnuts to this recipe and it will probably make it even better. Do let me know how you get on.

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!