Finally some festive baking!! I had great plans but alas was ill for a week so it's time to catch up this week! M&M'S have a special red and green xmas edition so I made candy cookies again with a festive touch. I love the colours.
175g caster sugar
110g brown sugar
225g unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract (or 2 tsp vanilla essence)
450g plain flour
pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Beat together the sugars and butter until pale and fluffy.
- In a seperate bowl, use a whisk to beat together the vanilla and eggs.
- Gradually transfer this egg mixture to the creamed mixture, beating between each addition. This will prevent the mixture from curdling.
- Over this mixture, sift the flour, baking powder, soda and salt.
- Use a metal spoon to carefully fold together until no lumps remain.
- Gradually add the milk and stir until soft dough forms (be careful not to add too much milk or dough will be too sticky).
- Leave in fridge for 20 minutes, covered.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees (fan-forced) and prepare 2 large cookie trays.
- Remove from fridge and roll small balls of mixture; put on prepared tray and flatten slightly.
- The cookies will spread a fair bit when cooking.
- Continue rolling balls until no mixture remains.
- Decorate the balls of dough with M&Ms.
- Bake biscuits for 8-9 minutes or until they are golden brown, but still slightly soft. They will harden slightly upon cooling.
- If you want a crunchier cookie, then cook for longer until brown and rather firm to touch when removed from oven.