Friday 3 December 2010

Chocolate Whoopie Pie



I was really excited to try out recipes from my whoopie pie book that I won at cupcake camp London. I've never made them before and was curious to see how they would turn out. I made these for Gerard's leaving do alongside the giant chocolate and caramel cupcake. They are quite soft and cakey and were quite 'more-ish' to eat. I think everyone enjoyed them as they were all gone by the end of the party! They are quick and easy to make and I'm sure I'll be making more of these in the future! What is a whoopie pie I hear some of you ask? Well here's a brief history lesson....

Whoopie pies are considered a New England phenomenon and a Pennsylvania Amish tradition. Whoopie Pies have also been known as a "gobs." in Western Pennsylvania.  A whoopie pie is like a sandwich, but made with two soft cookies with a fluffy white filling. They have been described as a cross between a cake and a cookie.  Traditional whoopies pies are made with vegetable shortening, not butter. The original and most commonly made whoopie pie is chocolate with a marshmallow filling. They are hailed as the new cupcakes. Have you tried them before? What do you think? 


 beat butter, shortening and sugar 


 whoopie pie dough

 I used more than 1 tablespoon resulting in giant sized whoopie pies! I am using my ice cream scoop next time. 



 place whoopie pie flat side up

add buttercream filling (i piped mine using a star tip) 
 assembled whoopie pie from the top 

 side view 


Classic Chocolate Whoopie Pie
(Makes 48 two-inch cakes)
200g flour
80g unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
57g unsalted butter, at room temperature
57g vegetable shortening
180g dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
250mls milk

  • Preheat oven to 190C.
  • Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
  • Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt onto a sheet of waxed paper.
  • In the work bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachement, beat together the butter, shortening, and brown sugar on low speed until just combined.
  • Increase the speed to medium and beat until fluffy and smooth, about 3 minutes.
  • Add the egg and vanilla and beat for another 2 minutes.
  • Add half of the flour mixture and half of the milk to the batter and beat on low until just incorporated.
  • Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
  • Add the remaining flour mixture and 1/2 cup milk and beat until completely combined.
  • Using a spoon, drop about 1 tablespoon of batter onto the prepared baking sheets and repeat, spacing them at least 2 inches apart.
  • Bake one sheet at a time for about 10 minutes each, or until the pies spring back when pressed gently.
  • Remove from the oven and let the cakes cool on the sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a rack to cool completely.

Classic Buttercream Filling
470g icing sugar
113g butter
3-4 tablespoons heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt

  • In the work bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beat together the icing sugar with the butter, starting on low and increasing to medium speed, until the mixture is crumbly,about 1 minute.
  • Add the heavy cream, vanilla and salt and beat on high speed until smooth, about 3 minutes.

To asemble whoopie pie: 

  • Spread filling on flat side of one cake using a knife or spoon.
  • Top with another cake, flat side down.
  • Repeat with the rest of the cakes and filling.
  • Alternatively you can use a pastry bag with a round tip to pipe the filling onto the cakes. 

6 comments:

  1. Whoopie pies have been on my must try list for a while now. Yours look really delicious, I think its time to move them off the 'must try' to the 'made that and man it was good!' list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried whoopie pies, and I'm not sure why. Cake is my favourite thing, so what's not to like about a hand-held version, sandwiched with buttercream? Yours look fabulous.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delightful! I've made some before and always enjoy them. I don't know why I don't make them more often!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks so lovely.. wish i had one right now. thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes there are alot of downsides about living on this teeny tiny island but having access to American baking goodies makes up for a lot of those downsides!!! I am making the most of it!
    Whilst I am a huge whoopie lover too, I have yet to make any! maybe I will follow your lead! yours look tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't tried whoopie pies yet, they're on my list, but now you've made them sound so easy, they've moved up the list. They look lovely and I can imagine them going down really well at a party.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!