Tuesday 30 November 2010

Apple and Cinnamon Cupcakes


Yet another recipe from the Love Bakery cookbook. I saw this on a few other blogs, namely the caked crusader and I heart cupcakes and knew I had to give it a go as well. It was really moist and flavourful with the right amount of cinnamon. These are even better than the caramel apple cupcakes I made for Cupcake Camp London. Apple is fast becoming one of my favourite cake ingredients. There's an apple and olive oil cake that I've been meaning to make for ages - I will try to make it before the new year!

 first time using an apple corer :)

 add cinnamon and lemon zest to the grated apples 

 add to the batter 

 ready to go in the oven 

 fresh from the oven 


 



 I tried 2 different piping methods. Which do you prefer? 


For the cupcake - Recipe from the Love Bakery Cookbook
(Makes 12 - I got about 18, size as shown above)
125g unsalted butter, at room temperature
140g caster sugar
2 eggs, at room temp
200g self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoon semi-skimmed milk
2 apples, peeled, cored and grated
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest

For the icing 
125g unsalted butter, at room temp
300g icing sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon semi-skimmed milk
2 tablespoon clear honey
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • Preheat oven to 180C.
  • Add the butter and sugar to the electric mixer and cream together for 7 mins or until light and fluffy.
  • Add the eggs, one by one, and mix for 2 minutes.
  • Mix the flour and the baking powder together in a separate bowl, then add to the mixer and mix until incorporated.
  • Add milk and mix for a further minute.
  • In another bowl, mix the apple, cinnamon and lemon zest together, then add to the mixer and mix well.
  • Use the ice cream scoop to divide the mixture evenly between the muffin cases.
  • Bake for 25 minutes.
  • Remove the baked cupcakes from the oven and immediately transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the icing
  • Cream the butter in the mixer for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
  • Add the icing sugar and milk and mix for a further 2 minutes until well blended, then add the honey and cinnamon and mix well.

10 comments:

  1. your cakes look incredible and i'm so glad youve posted your buttercream icing as i was failing miserably with mine... thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both look great. I like the twirl one better :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look adorable! And I can imagine how the apple would make them so deliciously moist! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love apple and cinnamon together. I'm sure that they'd be even better in a cupcake. Great piping by the way, I can never get mine that pretty :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes! Apples and cinnamon is the perfect winter pairing. Gorgeous cupcakes and fabulous recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are one of my all time favourite cupcakes, glad you agree!
    I like both piping, but what did nozzle you use for the one on the left?
    There are so many delicious apple recipes out there. Although I think my next cupcake is going to be the Christmas one from the Love Bakery book

    ReplyDelete
  7. @dom at Belleau kitchen - thanks. Hope you got to try the buttercream icing
    @Zoe - thanks, I like the twirl one too
    @Lorraine - thanks!
    @Brittany - thanks, i'm still practicing my piping skills
    @Jamie - thanks!
    @i heart cupcakes - i used a star tip and just pushed the icing out in the middle of the cake. I think I might end up baking my way through the love bakery book next year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful flavour, and they are both beautiful but I think i like the first piping better. You are getting really awesome at it.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was thinking of doing that - trying another recipe from it at the weekend. I recommend the rhubarb and custard one next, it was lovely :)
    Ta for the info re the tip -love the look of the frosting

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how your icing came up unlike my icing looks so wet-y. I should better try your recipe. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!