Yet another recipe from the Love Bakery cookbook. I saw this on a few other blogs, namely the caked crusader and I heart cupcakes and knew I had to give it a go as well. It was really moist and flavourful with the right amount of cinnamon. These are even better than the caramel apple cupcakes I made for Cupcake Camp London. Apple is fast becoming one of my favourite cake ingredients. There's an apple and olive oil cake that I've been meaning to make for ages - I will try to make it before the new year!
For the cupcake - Recipe from the Love Bakery Cookbook
(Makes 12 - I got about 18, size as shown above)
125g unsalted butter, at room temperature
140g caster sugar
2 eggs, at room temp
200g self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoon semi-skimmed milk
2 apples, peeled, cored and grated
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
For the icing
125g unsalted butter, at room temp
300g icing sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon semi-skimmed milk
2 tablespoon clear honey
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Add the butter and sugar to the electric mixer and cream together for 7 mins or until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one by one, and mix for 2 minutes.
- Mix the flour and the baking powder together in a separate bowl, then add to the mixer and mix until incorporated.
- Add milk and mix for a further minute.
- In another bowl, mix the apple, cinnamon and lemon zest together, then add to the mixer and mix well.
- Use the ice cream scoop to divide the mixture evenly between the muffin cases.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the baked cupcakes from the oven and immediately transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cream the butter in the mixer for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the icing sugar and milk and mix for a further 2 minutes until well blended, then add the honey and cinnamon and mix well.