Sunday 21 November 2010

Nigella's Everyday Brownies


I have been on a cookbook binge lately. This time I have Nigella's Kitchen which has an amazing collection of recipes. I opted for her everyday brownies which were really easy to make. They were deliciously moist and gooey with a slightly crunchy top. 


 brownie mix 

 adding eggs

adding chopped chocolate 

 ready to go in the oven 

 straight from the oven 


150g unsalted butter
300g light brown muscovado sugar
75g cocoa powder, sifted
150g plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
pinch of salt
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
approx 150g milk chocolate, chopped into small chunks
icing sugar to dust (optional) 

  • Preheat the oven to 190C.
  • Melt the butter over a gentle heat in a medium sized saucepan. 
  • When it's melted, add the sugar, stirring with a wooden spoon (still over a low heat) to help it blend with the melted butter. 
  • Sift together the cocoa powder, flour, bicarb, salt and then stir into the pan; when mixed (this will be a very dry mixture, and not wholly blended at this stage), remove from the heat.
  • In a bowl or jug, whisk the eggs with the vanilla extract and then mix into the brownie mixture in the pan.
  • Stir in the chopped chocolate and quickly pour and scrape into a baking tin and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes.  
  • It will look set, dark and dry on top, but when you feel the surface, you will sense it is still wobbly underneath and a cake tester will come out gungy.  This is desirable.


9 comments:

  1. Hmmm these look delish so fudgy and moist! Glad you liked the video! my husband's a bit of a pro photographer so he did a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look amazing. You tempt me with the way you described these! Nigella Lawson always delivers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum - this is my kind of brownie - all squidgy and rich!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't beat a good brownie and these look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look like amazingly chocolately. After a terrible Brownie Fail in my kitchen yesterday, I'm keen to whip up a batch of these instead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these so simple & quick my they are a huge hit with everyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. they look yummy i'd love to try but I don't get the grams how to I convert to cups? butter always confuses me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn’t convert, cups aren’t as exact as grams for baking. It’s worth investing in a small digital scale that weighs in grams.

      Delete
  8. I've baked this 100 times now, it is the best brownie recipe

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!