Thursday 18 November 2010

Pecan Cookies



I made this on a whim late one night (as you do) - I wanted to make something that was simple and quick so it had to be cookies! I had a quick flip through my new book "1001 cupcakes, cookies and other tempting treats" (highly recommended) and came across this recipe for nutty pecan cookies.
The smell of the cookies baking and in the container was amazing! The cookies were really crunchy with the definite taste of pecans. I have to admit I drizzled maple syrup on one of the cookies the next day and it was heavenly.

 my lovely nut 'cruncher' from Lakeland  

 cookie dough 

 adding pecan nuts 



 straight from the oven 

 perfect with a cup of tea or some maple syrup for pure indulgence! 

 close up 

(Makes approximately 30 cookies of size shown)
150g unsalted butter, softened
150g caster sugar
225g self raising flour
1-2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
280g pecan nuts

  • Preheat the oven to 190C.
  • Line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper.
  • Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
  • Sift in the flour and beat to combine.
  • Add 1 tablespoon of milk and the vanilla extract and mix to form a dough, adding more milk if the dough is too stiff. 
  • Reserve 30 pecan halves.
  • Chop the remaining pecan nuts and knead in to the dough.
  • Place a heaped tablespoonful of dough (I used a small ice cream scoop) on the baking sheet and press half a pecan into the centre of each cookie.
  • Bake for 10-15 minutes.
  • Leave to cool on the baking sheets before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. 


1 comment:

  1. I've never made pecan cookies before but they sound like something I'd love! When I was a kid I used to love these cookies my folks would buy in store. They were called Pecan Sandies. Bet these are very similar to what I was eating as a kid. :)

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!