Tuesday 30 November 2010

Vanilla Cupcakes


I have made quite a few cupcakes this year and I think I've only made vanilla cupcakes once. When I was asked to make something for a bake sale at work, I decided on vanilla cupcakes - plain & simple, perfect for the occasion.  I also wanted to try out new recipes from my Love bakery cookbook which I absolutely love!
These were really quick and easy to make and turned out beautifully. I'll definitely be making these again and again :)

 cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy


 ready to go in the oven 

 fresh from the oven 

 ready to go 




 I made 4 different colours with various toppings 

For the cupcake   (Makes 12 - but I got 16 as mine are quite small) 
125g butter
125g caster sugar
1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
125g self raising flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoon milk

For the icing
125g butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
250g icing sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon milk
Food colouring (optional) 

  • Preheat oven to 180C.
  • Add butter, sugar and vanilla extract to an electric mixer and cream for 7 minutes or until light and fluffy.
  • Add eggs one by one and mix for a further 2 minutes.
  • Mix the flour and baking powder in a separate bowl. 
  • Then add to the mixer and mix until incorporated.
  • Add the milk and mix for a further minute.
  • Use an ice cream scoop to divide the mixture evenly between the cases. 
  • Bake for approximately 25 minutes.
To make the icing
  • Cream the butter and vanilla extract together in the mixer for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
  • Add the icing sugar and milk and mix for a further 2 minutes until well blended.
  • Add food colouring if required and pipe onto cupcakes. 
  • Decorate with sprinkles as desired. 

1 comment:

  1. You've decorated them beautifully! I love the colours and so on.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!