I have made quite a few cupcakes this year and I think I've only made vanilla cupcakes once. When I was asked to make something for a bake sale at work, I decided on vanilla cupcakes - plain & simple, perfect for the occasion. I also wanted to try out new recipes from my Love bakery cookbook which I absolutely love!
These were really quick and easy to make and turned out beautifully. I'll definitely be making these again and again :)
For the cupcake (Makes 12 - but I got 16 as mine are quite small)
125g caster sugar
1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
125g self raising flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoon milk
For the icing
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
250g icing sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon milk
Food colouring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Add butter, sugar and vanilla extract to an electric mixer and cream for 7 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one by one and mix for a further 2 minutes.
- Mix the flour and baking powder in a separate bowl.
- Then add to the mixer and mix until incorporated.
- Add the milk and mix for a further minute.
- Use an ice cream scoop to divide the mixture evenly between the cases.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes.
To make the icing
- Cream the butter and vanilla extract together in the mixer for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the icing sugar and milk and mix for a further 2 minutes until well blended.
- Add food colouring if required and pipe onto cupcakes.
- Decorate with sprinkles as desired.