Wednesday 22 December 2010

Christmas Cupcakes


More festive baking with Christmas cupcakes from the Love Bakery.  It's a lovely combination of cinnamon and cranberries which pair really well together.  It smelt really good in the oven.  I finally got a chance to use my Christmas cupcake wrappers and Christmas sprinkles - they're red and green Christmas trees! Aren't they cute?




For the cake
125g unsalted butter, at room temperature
125g caster sugar
1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs, at room temperature
125g self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoon semi-skimmed milk
150g dried cranberries

For the frosting
60g unsalted butter, at room temperature
85g full fat cream cheese
225g icing sugar, sifted
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I used double the amount)
Small pinch of ground cloves (I omitted this)


  • Preheat oven to 180C.
  • Add the butter, sugar and vanilla extract to the electric mixer and cream together for 7 minutes, or until light and fluffy. 
  • Add the eggs, one by one, and mix for 2 minutes.
  • Mix the flour, baking powder and cinnamon together in a separate bowl, then add to the mixer and mix until incorporated.
  • Add the milk and mix for a further minute, then add the cranberries and mix in with a tablespoon.
  • Divide the mixture evenly between the muffin cases.
  • Bake for 25 minutes.
  • Remove from the oven and immediately transfer to a wire rack. Leave to cool. 
  • To make the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese together in the mixer for 3 minutes.
  • Add the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
  • Watch closely, as the frosting must remain firm if you are going to pipe it. 
  • Add the cinnamon and cloves (if using) and mix to combine. 
  • Chill in the refrigerator until ready to use. 

9 comments:

  1. Cinnamon and cranberries are such a festive combination! They look gorgeous. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaaaay Christmas cupcakes! What's better than that? I mean really:) Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute indeed! Cinnamon and cranberry...it's not a combination I've tried, but I'd definitely like to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sweet! Where did you get the sprinkles from? I've been searching high and low for Christmas sprinkles but can't find any!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Chele - I got the sprinkles online from http://www.cakecraftworld.co.uk/
    They also have snowflake sprinkles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look great - very festive and fun

    Happy christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how pretty, I love anything with cinnamon. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!