Saturday 26 February 2011

Cinnamon Palmiers


I love palmiers and since I've started baking I've attempted making my favourite recipes at home, often with a little modification. I never knew it was so easy to make a "cheats version" of palmier using store bought puff pastry. It's really quick and simple to make and absolutely delicious.
My oven was not quite hot enough so the pastry was a little soggy but it still tasted great. I'd like to try a traditional sugar palmier next. Any tips on how to get it hard and crispy?

 mix ingredients 

 brush over pastry 

 roll it up

 slice and bake 

 delicious! 

75g sugar
1.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
57g butter, melted
1 box of puff pastry (or you could make your own!)

  • Preheat oven to 200C.
  • Mix all the ingredients into a paste.
  • Roll pastry dough into a large rectangle. 
  • Using a pastry brush, spread the cinnamon sugar paste in a thin, even layer over the dough.
  • Starting at the long ends of the rectangle, loosely roll each side inward until they meet in the middle. 
  • Slice the pastry cross-wise into 1/4 inch palmiers (they'll look like little scrolls) and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet.
  • Bake for 12-15 minutes until they puff and turn golden brown. 

3 comments:

  1. Too ensure it's crispy you need to make sure that you cook it at a moderate-high temperature (as the packet suggests). I guess I'd just say to read the packet. It might say you need to prepare it when the dough it thawed and then cook it. Either way I bet they tasted delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made salmon and dill Palmiers yesterday for some canapes before dinner and while they tasted great I noticed that the pastry int he middle didn't cook as well as the pastry ont he outside. Maybe this is one of those recipes that take lots of practise ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of palmiers before but they sure do look and sound so good!! I love anything with cinnamon, sugar, and butter! :)

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!