I was looking through my blog and discovered that I've never blogged lemon cupcakes before. I've definitely made them often enough (mostly pre-blog) so I feel the need to share them here. This actually came about whilst I was making my lavender cupcakes. The original recipe made a lot of frosting (I've given half the amount which is enough to frost 1 batch of cupcakes) so before I added the purple colouring, I set aside half of the lemon and honey frosting and baked a batch of these delicious lemon cupcakes. I used my tried and tested lemon cake recipe and the result was a delightfully moist, zingy cake. It paired really well with the lemon and honey cream cheese frosting. I've made them with a lemon buttercream frosting previously which also works well.
For the cupcakes
Makes 10 cupcakes
110g self-raising flour, sifted
3/4 teaspoons baking powder
110g unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 large eggs
grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
Lemon and honey cream cheese frosting
150g cream cheese
100g icing sugar, sifted
1 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the lemon zest and juice.
- Add the flour, cornflour and baking powder.
- Spoon into cupcake cases and bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Spread the icing on the cupcakes using a spatula.
- Decorate with a sugared lemon slice.