I've been wanting to make these cupcakes for the longest time so I'm pleased that AlphaBakes this month is T. I love toblerone chocolate and I love cupcakes so this really was a no brainer :) It's essentially a basic vanilla sponge with bits of chopped toblerone in the batter. After my sweet and savoury combination, I decided to make this super sweet and paired the cupcake with a honey buttercream frosting. It was actually too sweet for most people but I enjoyed it :) You may want to pair it with a sour cream chocolate frosting or maybe a toblerone chocolate ganache.
As mentioned these were made for AlphaBakes which is a monthly challenge hosted by myself this month and by Caroline from Caroline Makes on alternate months. The letter this month is T for Toblerone.
I'm also entering them to Cupcake Tuesday hosted by Liz from Hoosier Homemade
Makes 18 cupcakes
For the cupcakes
250g caster sugar
250g self raising flour
3 large eggs (or 4 small eggs)
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (optional)
4 tablespoons milk
170g bar of Toblerone chocolate, chopped (if you are using the small 100g bars, use 2 x 100g)
For the frosting
400 - 450g icing sugar
2 heaped tablespoons of honey (adjust to taste)
18 triangles of toblerone chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla bean paste and milk.
- Mix in the flour.
- Finally, stir in the chopped chunks of toblerone chocolate.
- Spoon into cupcake cases and bake for approximately 15 - 18 minutes until the tops are golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Make the frosting by mixing all the ingredients in an electric mixer until smooth.
- Pipe the frosting on top of the cake and finish with a triangle of toblerone.