Tuesday 3 December 2013

Brown Butter Banana Bread Squares


I'm sure you know how much I love baking with bananas. I've made all sorts of banana bread so I wanted to try something a little different for a change. I remember bookmarking this amazing recipe from the Little Loaf when I first saw it back in May 2013 and having made these, I'm not sure why it's taken me so many months to try it! It's absolutely delicious and received rave reviews at work. The brown butter gives a lovely, subtle nutty texture, the yoghurt and bananas a lovely moist texture and the little bits of chocolate are pure heaven. Initially I thought some nuts would make a good addition but as I continuing eating slice after slice, I realise that it's perfect on its own. Sometimes less is more and this is definitely one of those times. I think I ate a quarter of this tray on my own as it was just so good!

I'm entering this to Bookmarked Recipes hosted by Jacqueline from Tinned Tomatoes.




 whisking brown butter into sugar and egg mixture

 adding mashed bananas and yoghurt

 adding flour

 adding in chopped chocolate



Recipe adapted slightly from The Little Loaf

I used what ingredients I had at home - low fat vanilla yoghurt and a mixture of milk and dark chocolate. I made a double recipe to fit a 32cm rectangle tray

55g butter
175g light muscovado sugar
1 egg
2 medium sized bananas, mashed
50g low fat vanilla yoghurt
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
130g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
150g chopped chocolate


  • Preheat the oven to 175C. Grease and line a 32cm rectangle 'traybake' baking tray as shown (You need a double recipe for this) Alternatively, use a smaller square baking tin. 
  • Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook for approximately 6-8 minutes until the butter is brown but not burnt. 
  • In a separate bowl, whisk the sugar and eggs.
  • Whisk in the cooled browned butter.
  • Add in mashed bananas, yoghurt and vanilla. 
  • Sift in the flour and baking powder and mix well.
  • Finally stir in the chopped chocolate. 
  • Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. You will need to reduce the baking time if you are using a smaller tin (probably about 15-20 minutes) 
  • Allow to cool completely before slicing into squares 


8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was absolutely delicious and I've been asked for more.

      Delete
  2. Looks lush and I like the addition of chocolate too. :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, and I have some bananas that need using up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that sounds tasty. I always love step-by-step photos too!

    Thanks for submitting them to Bookmarked Recipes, the roundup is up and the new challenge open. It took me a while to get around to putting it up what with all my giveaways. Back to normal now thankfully.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!