Tuesday 10 December 2013

Xmas Vanilla Cookies/Biscuits


It's the start of festive baking here on The More Than Occasional Baker. I have quite a few projects lined up but I'm not sure if I'll have time to make all of them as there's also lots of Christmas parties to attend! This is a really simple recipe and the wow factor comes from the cookie mould. I got this Xmas cookie pan as a gift from a friend who had been to New York for Xmas 2011. It's now 2013 and I finally get a chance to use it!! I received it after Xmas in 2011 so it was too late and in 2012, this pan was packed safely in storage.

I used the recipe on the back of the pan but reduced the sugar amount and added in some vanilla bean paste for extra vanilla flavour. I kept the decorations simple as I didn't have time to make different colours of royal icing and to wait for the icing to set. You can of course spend hours decorating these but I think they look quite pretty with a little writing icing detail. The taste was a cross between a cookie and a cake and had a definite vanilla flavour. It was well received at work and I'm sure I'll be using this pan every year now.

I'm entering this to AlphaBakes which I am hosting this month and co host with Caroline from Caroline Makes. The letter this month is X for Xmas Cookies.


And to Tea Time Treats hosted by Kate from What Kate Baked and co-hosted by Karen from Lavender and Lovage. The theme this month is Festive Food Gifts and I think these would make a great festive gift especially when it's decorated and packaged nicely.


I'm also sending these to the Biscuit Barrel Challenge hosted by Laura from I'd Much Rather Bake Than... The theme this month is Quick and Easy which these are as there's no need to chill the dough, roll out and cut shapes. Just make the dough and press into the pan. They can be left undecorated or with a very simple icing like I've done here which only takes minutes.


And to Calendar Cakes hosted by Rachel from Dolly Bakes and co-hosted by Laura from Laura loves Cakes. The theme this month is Jingle Bell Rock.
And to Treat Petite hosted by Stuart from Cakeyboi and co-hosted by Kat from the Baking Explorer. The theme this month is Happy Holidays. 


And to Four Seasons Food hosted by Anneli from Delicieux and Louisa from Eat your Veg. The theme this month is Party Food and these little treats would be perfect for any party.


And to Let's Cook Christmas Party Food hosted by Nayna from Simply Food.


Also to The Secret Recipe Club Holiday Treats Party



 Gift from a friend 

 Fill with cookie dough about 2/3 full 


Recipe adapted slightly from Wilton
Makes about 3 dozen cookies

226g butter
226g caster sugar ( original recipe asked for 335g. 226g was still on the sweet side so would recommen 180-200g if you don't like sweet cookies)
1 egg
1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
343g plain flour (2 3/4 cup)


  • Preheat oven to 175C
  • Spray cookie pan with cake release spray.
  • Beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
  • Add in the egg and vanilla extract and paste.
  • Mix well then add in flour. 
  • Press dough into the cookie pan, filling them 2/3 full - the cookies will expand and you'll get really large overflowing ones if you fill it up to the top.
  • Bake for 8 - 9 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges
  • Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out to a wire rack to cool completely. 
  • Decorate as desired. 


11 comments:

  1. Love them! Thanks for entering Treat Petite :) Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can sense the Xmas mood that those cookies are bringing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cookies are so cute.Perfect for the christmas party

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Christmas biscuit tray! These look so pretty and are perfect for a party food entry. Thanks for popping them into Four Seasons Food. Happy Christmas x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Christmas to you too. There will be lots more entries from me :)

      Delete
  5. I don't think these biscuits could scream Happy Christmas any louder and I really want that tray now! Thanks for sharing them with the Biscuit Barrel challenge =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree and I'm so glad I finally got a chance to make these!

      Delete
  6. Aww that cookie pan is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you very much for entering TTT and Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!