Thursday 5 December 2013

Double chocolate, hazelnut and cherry muffins


Late last Sunday I felt like baking something. It was getting late and I didn't want anything overly complicated. I looked through my cookbooks for inspiration but nothing really caught my eye - the recipes were either too fussy or I didn't have the right ingredients to hand. I looked in my fridge and cupboards for inspiration. Earlier in the day, I'd bought some soured cream as they were on offer and that's how this recipe started. I wanted to use the soured cream so immediately I thought of a chocolate cake or muffin. I decided to make muffins as I didn't have to make frosting. I was recently sent a selection of baking goodies including chocolate chips from Dr Oetker to use so a chocolate chip muffin was forming. I also found a bag of hazelnuts so I added these in.  At the last minute, I added chopped cherries on top so it looked festive. 

I was really pleased with how these muffins turned out - it was moist and chocolatey and I loved the taste and texture of the roasted hazelnuts (which I left whole as I was too lazy to chop them). The cherries were a nice touch and added a little sweetness to your first bite. 

These muffins are really quick and easy to make. No special equipment required and the washing up is done whilst the muffins are in the oven. I think they look quite festive with the cherries on top. You can also add a drizzle of white chocolate for the extra wow factor. 

I'm entering this to Made with love Mondays hosted by Javelin Warrior. 


And to Tea Time Treats hosted by Kate from What Kate Baked and co-hosted by Karen from Lavender and Lovage. The theme this month is Festive Food Gifts and I think these would be a great alternative to traditional Christmas cake and cupcakes. 


I'm also sending these to the Biscuit Barrel Challenge hosted by Laura from I'd Much Rather Bake Than... The theme this month is Quick and Easy so these fit perfectly.


And to Calendar Cakes hosted by Rachel from Dolly Bakes and co-hosted by Laura from Laura loves Cakes. The theme this month is Jingle Bell Rock.


And to Treat Petite hosted by Stuart from Cakeyboi and co-hosted by Kat from the Baking Explorer. The theme this month is Happy Holidays and I think these are perfect for any holiday.




And to Four Seasons Food hosted by Anneli from Delicieux and Louisa from Eat your Veg. The theme this month is Party Food and these muffins would be perfect for any party.





 adding chocolate chips to the flour mixture 

 adding roasted hazelnuts 

 mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients 

 decorate with chopped cherries on top 



 yum! 

Recipe adapted from 1001 Cupcakes, cookies and other tempting treats

250g plain flour
25g cocoa powder
85g light muscovado sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
100g plain chocolate chips
100g white chocolate chips
100g roasted hazelnuts
300mls soured cream
85g butter, melted
Chopped cherries (optional)


  • Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • Roast hazelnut in the oven - approximately 6-8 minutes or until fragrant and golden brown. 
  • Set aside to cool.
  • In a medium sized bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
  • Stir in the chocolate chips followed by the roasted hazelnuts.
  • Place eggs, sour cream and butter in a separate bowl and mix well.
  • Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Be careful not to overmix.
  • Add chopped cherries on top for decoration. 
  • Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  • Allow to cool completely or eat warm if you prefer. 

With thanks to Dr Oetker for the chocolate chips used in this recipe. 

18 comments:

  1. I treated myself to (free) coffee and muffin in John Lewis yesterday. I thought that muffin was impressive but these look way better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm, three of my favourite things in one bake. These look great so thanks for sharing them with the Biscuit Barrel challenge =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny how the baking bug bites - I'm often in the mood to bake a few hours before bed. And most of the time, you're right, all the recipes are too complex or I don't have precise ingredients on hand. These muffins are a great way to satisfy that baking urge...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely are and it satisfies chocolate cravings too!

      Delete
  4. I would never have thought of putting the three of these together - but what a great combo! Thank you for entering Treat Petite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a case of what's in cupboard but I'm glad it worked

      Delete
  5. love these look absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo these sound delicious! Thank you for entering Treat Petite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm these look yummy. I quite often fancy a spot of evening baking but never want to make anything too complicated so muffins are a perfect quick and easy bake. Anything with cherries on top is also a winner for me :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving the cherry top - will have to remember that for other bakes.

      Delete
  8. I love the appearance of their topping - glistening like jewels! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention it, it does look like jewels.

      Delete
  9. Your muffins look lovely, perfect for a weekend treat :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks amazing even by just looking at the photos! Will most definitely give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the sound of all those chocolate chips, hazelnuts and cherries in there! Lots of hidden treasures in there. Thanks for entering them into Four Seasons Food x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ingredients work really well together. Thanks for hosting.

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!