Saturday 21 December 2013

Roasted Tomato, Basil and Gruyere Quiche





I have a savoury recipe to share for a change. My work had a Xmas buffet lunch where everyone brings something so of course I offered to make cake. One of my colleagues prefers savoury food and has been asking for another quiche as she really enjoyed the one I made previously so I dutifully obliged and found this recipe on BBC Good Food. I did also make a cake but I'll save that for another day.

This is a really simple recipe with only 3 key ingredients - tomato, basil and cheese. It was really tasty and would be perfect for the festive season as the colours are very festive.

As usual, I'm entering this to several challenges this month

Cooking with herbs hosted by Karen from Lavender and Lovage.


Made with Love Mondays hosted by Javelin Warrior.

Four Seasons Food hosted by Anneli from Delicieux and Louisa from Eat your Veg. The theme this month is Party Food.
Let's Cook Christmas Party Food hosted by Nayna from Simply Food.


Calendar Cakes hosted by Rachel from Dolly Bakes and co-hosted by Laura from Laura loves Cakes. The theme this month is Jingle Bell Rock.

 flour, basil, olive oil, butter, tomatoes, cream, eggs, cheese 

 drizzle olive oil on tomatoes, season and roast in the oven 

 adding chopped basil 

 my tart shell after blind baking 

 sprinkle grated cheese 

 add roasted tomatoes 

 pour in the egg/cream mixture 

 sprinkle more grated cheese on top 

 



Recipe adapted slightly from BBC Good Food

For the pastry
280g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
140g cold butter, cut into pieces
8 tablespoons cold water 
For the filling
300g cherry tomatoes
drizzle olive oil
100g Gruyere cheese, grated
2 eggs
300ml double cream
Approximately 15-20 basil leaves, shredded, plus a few small ones left whole for scattering

  • Rub the butter and flour together until it resembles breadcrumbs. Slowly add water one tablespoon at a time until a dough forms. 
  • Roll into a ball, wrap with clingfilm and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before baking. 
  • Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and line your tart tin. 
  • Use a small ball of pastry scrap to press the pastry into the corners of the tin. 
  • Chill in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
  • Preheat the oven to 200C.
  • Place the tomatoes in a baking tray/roasting tin, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for at least 30 minutes or the tomatoes are well roasted with slightly charred skin. 
  • Prick the base of the tart with a fork.
  • Line the tart case with kitchen foil or baking paper and fill with baking bean. Blind bake for 20 minutes, then remove the beans and foil/paper and continue baking for 5 - 10 minutes until the pastry is light brown. 
  • Remove the tomatoes and pastry from the oven. 
  • Whilst the tart and tomatoes are in the oven, make the filling by beating the eggs in a large bowl.
  • Gradually add the cream followed by the chopped basil. 
  • Season with salt and pepper. 
  • When the tart case is ready,sprinkle half the cheese over the base, scatter over the tomatoes, then pour over the cream mix. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
  • Bake for 20 -25 minutes or until the filling is set and the pastry is golden brown.
  • Allow to cool completely before trimming the edges of the pastry and serving 
  • Scatter over small whole basil leaves before serving 


9 comments:

  1. I love quiche, i must try making quiche with gruyere cheese instead of cheddar cheese xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always use Gruyere cheese as it's one of my favourite!

      Delete
  2. oh god Ros this is stunning... I was seriously debating making quiche today too, I think it's so perfect for this time of year, nice and light... yours looks so pretty too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is only the second quiche I've ever made and I can see a lot more in my future. It's fun making quiches and the flavour combinations are endless.

      Delete
  3. Quiches are really so tasty and simple enough to make, I don't know why I've never tried to make one myself. Yours sounds so good and love the brightness of the tomato with basil...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is only the second quiche I've ever made and it won't be the last. Definitely try making your own - it's well worth it :)

      Delete
  4. Your pastry looks divine. I really think that tarts like this are just the most versatile dish to make for a buffet style party. Great entry into Four Seasons Food, thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finally getting the hang of pastry! I made another one for a Boxing Day buffet and it was perfect.

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!