Thursday 12 December 2013

Gingerbread Cupcakes with Golden Syrup Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting





The lovely people at Tala sent me a selection of Xmas baking goodies to review. This included cupcake cases, Christmas silicone chocolate mould, holly leaf plunge cutters and Christmas tree cookie cutters. I decided to make gingerbread cupcakes with chocolate gingerbreadman and candy canes and some cookies.


I'm not a fan of gingerbread or ginger but I know I'm in the minority so in the spirit of Xmas and sharing I made these cupcakes to give away. Most of the recipes I saw online have similar ingredients of treacle, dark brown sugar, ginger and spices. I chose this recipe from King Arthur flour which had good reviews.

I made a golden syrup cream cheese frosting with cinnamon as I thought it would pair well with the sticky gingerbread. The frosting tasted heavenly! The feedback I received from the cupcakes were that "It's Christmas in a cupcake". The cake is moist and sticky and full of ginger and spice. The frosting complemented the cake very well and everyone was amazed by the decorations.

The chocolate moulds were really easy to use - melt chocolate, pour in the mould and leave to set. They were easy to remove with no breakages. I sprayed them gold which really brings out the detail. The cupcakes cases are sturdy and strong and does not become transparent after baking which I was really pleased about.

Check back tomorrow/weekend as I have a very exciting project to share with you using the tree cookie cutters and a giveaway from Tala.

I'm sharing this with several challenges this month :-

AlphaBakes which I am hosting this month and co host with Caroline from Caroline Makes. The letter this month is X and we are accepting any Xmas related bakes. These apparently are Xmas in cupcake form so I think it's perfect.





Tea Time Treats hosted by Kate from What Kate Baked and co-hosted by Karen from Lavender and Lovage. The theme this month is Festive Food Gifts and I think these would make a great festive gift.





Calendar Cakes hosted by Rachel from Dolly Bakes and co-hosted by Laura from Laura loves Cakes. The theme this month is Jingle Bell Rock. These definitely rock! :)


 Treat Petite hosted by Stuart from Cakeyboi and co-hosted by Kat from the Baking Explorer. The theme this month is Happy Holidays.




Four Seasons Food hosted by Anneli from Delicieux and Louisa from Eat your Veg. The theme this month is Party Food and these cupcakes would be perfect for any party.



Let's Cook Christmas Party Food hosted by Nayna from Simply Food.





The Spice Trail: Cooking with Cinnamon hosted by Vanesther from Bangers & Mash.


Secret Recipe Club Holiday Treats Party


Cooking with Herbs hosted by Karen from Lavender and Lovage. The theme this month is cooking with Herbs and Christmas spices so I think my cinnamon in the frosting will qualify.



Recipe adapted slightly from King Arthur Flour
Makes 14 cupcakes

For the cupcakes
206g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
113g unsalted butter, softened
106g dark brown sugar
170g black treacle
2 medium eggs
125ml water
For the frosting 
60g butter
200g cream cheese
175g icing sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons golden syrup 
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

For the decoration
150g plain chocolate, melted
Edible gold spray

  • Preheat oven to 175C. 
  • Sift the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
  • Beat butter, sugar, black treacle and eggs in an electric mixer until pale and smooth.
  • Add 60mls of water to the butter mixture and mix well.
  • Add half the flour mixture and continue mixing.
  • Add remaining water followed by flour mixture and mix well. 
  • Spoon into cupcake cases and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. 
  • Allow to cool completely before decorating.
  • To make the frosting, beat butter and cream cheese until smooth in an electric mixer.
  • Add in the icing sugar and continue mixing.
  • Add in the golden syrup (you may want to add more depending on taste) and ground cinnamon and continu mixing until smooth.
  • Make the chocolate decorations by melting 150g plain chocolate and pour them into the moulds. Allow to set in the fridge or freezer until firm. Gold spray optional. 
  • Use a round tip to pipe frosting on the cupcakes and decorate with a gold chocolate gingerbreadman or candy cane.
Disclaimer: I was sent the items above to review free of charge. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own. I paid for all the ingredients myself. 

15 comments:

  1. These cup cakes look so cute, you have made them perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so cute, the gold definitely sets them off. I've never thought of using golden syrup in an icing before but it is a flavour I really like so I WILL try it it at some point =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a light bulb moment as I was thinking about flavour pairings and it worked really, really well.

      Delete
  3. Yum!! Thanks for entering Treat Petite :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The icing sounds heavenly. May have to keep this recipe in mind if I get round to making christmas cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really pleased as I came up with it at the last minute and it worked really well. These are really quick and easy to put together so do give it a go if you have time.

      Delete
  5. The toppers look great - I've tried to spray chocolate with gold spray before though and the gold didn't really stick, the chocolate was too shiny somehow. I'm curious as to why yours look perfectly gold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sprayed a lot of the gold spray on the chocolates and was really pleased with how well they turned out.

      Delete
  6. love the little gold decorations on top... so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look such fun - my kids would adore these. And thanks for sharing in December's #TheSpiceTrail - a gorgeously festive entry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy:) I am a ginger fan so these would work for me! But it's your icing with cream cheese and golden syrup that really sounds fantastic! Fab entry into Four Seasons Food - thanks x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone says the icing was the best bit. It was an inspired idea :)

      Delete
  9. ANOTHER FABULOUS entry into cooking with herbs for December and my spicy theme! Thanks so much and Happy New Year! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. I'm glad you chose a spicy theme as I rarely get to join in cooking with herbs

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!