Wednesday 22 July 2015

Blueberry and white chocolate buttermilk scones



This is one of those amazing recipes that started as a bit of an experiment and ended beautifully. I have been quite busy lately and have been neglecting my blog. I do miss baking and blogging and participating in blogging challenges but sometimes life just gets in the way. I didn't get a chance to enter anything last month apart from Alphabakes so I wanted to make sure I got a few entries in this month. The inspiration for this recipe is the We Should Cocoa Challenge hosted by Choclette from Tin and Thyme. The theme this month is blueberries. I started thinking about how to pair chocolate and blueberries. Initially I thought of a blueberry sponge cupcake with white chocolate frosting but decided it was too boring. I debated about cookies but I couldn't find any dried blueberries when I went shopping. I then stumbled upon a recipe for buttermilk scones and thought aha! I don't bake scones often and I've certainly never tried baking this type of scone so I thought I'd go for it! 

I adapted a recipe slightly from Butter Baking which in turn was adapted from Tartine. I wasn't sure how to incorporate the blueberries and white chocolate but I did know that scone mixture should not be handled extensively otherwise the scones are hard and dry. I decided to tip out the scone mixture onto a silicone mat and kneaded it gently. I pressed it into a large rectangle shape then poured the white chocolate chips and blueberries on top. I then rolled the dough so the filling was in the middle. I cut large rectangles and then cut them into triangles. The scones were brushed with melted butter and sprinkled with caster sugar before baking. Every scone had ample filling of blueberries and white chocolate and the blueberries stayed in the middle. 

The scones turned out better than I expected. They look a lot better than those sold at a certain coffee chain! They have a lovely crispy edge and a soft centre. The blueberries and white chocolate work well together and the scones are not overly sweet at all. The sugar on top gives it a lovely crunch. It's best served warm with a cup of tea but it was still delicious the day after.


 add cubed butter to flour mixture  

 I spread out the dough and patted it into a rectangluar shape

 poured the fresh blueberries and white chocolate on top

 fold in half and cut into rectangles and then triangles

 brush with melted butter and sprinkle with caster sugar before baking 


 Loved the crispy bits 

 Warmed up slightly for breakfast the next day - love the oozing blueberries! 


I'm sending this to a few blog challenges this month...

We Should Cocoa hosted by Choclette from Tin and Thyme. The theme this month is blueberries.


Treat Petite hosted by Stuart from Cakeyboi and Kat from The Baking Explorer. The theme this month is Summertime Special. Berries in any form definitely spell summer for me.


Simple and in Season hosted by Ren. Blueberries are definitely in season at the moment.



Recipe of the Week hosted by Emily from A Mummy Too


Tasty Tuesdays hosted by Vicki from Honest Mum.



Recipe adapted from Butter Baking 

Makes 18 scones
For the scones
680g plain flour
100g caster sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
250g butter, cubed
375mls buttermilk
100g white chocolate chips
200g fresh blueberries
For the topping before baking 
30g butter, melted
30g caster sugar for sprinkling



  • Preheat the oven to 180C. 
  • Place the flour, sugar, baking powder and bicarbonte of soda in the bowl of an electric mixer.
  • Add the cubed butter (250g).
  • Mix on a low speed until the butter is incorporated into the flour mixture. 
  • Add in the buttermilk.
  • You should have a soft dough at this point.
  • Tip it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently. Try not to overmix or handle the dough too much.
  • Spread the rough into a large rectangle.
  • Pour the white chocolate chips and fresh blueberries on top. 
  • Fold the dough in half starting with the bottom end, folding upwards.
  • Cut into large rectangles and then cut into triangles (see photo above).
  • Place the triangles on a lined baking tray.
  • Brush with melted butter and sprinkle caster sugar on top. 
  • Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
  • Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the tray.
  • Best served warm but will keep in an airtight container for a day or two. 



6 comments:

  1. These look amazing! The oozy blueberries in the last photo look so tempting. I need to be more adventurous with scones. I'm definitely bookmarking this recipe to try out sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad I decided to venture out of my comfort zone. I do hope you give these a try and let me know how you get on.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow they look amazing, I adore white chocolate everything too! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dark chocolate is my favourite but white chocolate is starting to grow on me.

      Delete
  3. Ooh Ros, I love, love, love, this recipe. How very clever of you. I'm not generally a lover of sweet scones as I like to slather mine with jam and cream, but these are on a different level entirely and I have bookmarked. So glad you could enter this month, WSC is just not the same without you. Life seems to be crazy busy and I didn't manage to enter AlphaBakes either :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am rather pleased with these as it's the first time I've made anything like this and it definitely won't be the last. I know what you mean about life being crazy busy, August is looking pretty busy too!

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!