Sunday 12 July 2015

Gooseberry and Orange Drizzle Cake


My colleague gave me a huge box of fresh gooseberries from her garden. I don't think I've ever baked with them before and apart from making a gooseberry fool I wasn't quite sure what to do with them. I turned to twitter and got a few very helpful suggestions including jam, crumble, cobbler or tart. As I was short on time, I decided to bake a cake and used a BBC Good Food recipe. It's essentially a light sponge cake with orange zest and fresh gooseberries and an orangle drizzle to go on top. The gooseberries sunk to the bottom of the cake and gave a lovely tart bite to the cake. The orange complemented the gooseberries well as it's a subtle citrus flavour which has a sweetness to it unlike lemon or lime.

I'm sending this to Formula 1 Foods hosted by Caroline from Caroline Makes. The idea is to cook something inspired by the country that is hosting the Formula 1 race. This time it's in the UK which opens up a lot of possibilities particularly with using seasonal produce. It was good timing then that I got this box of gooseberries as they are very British.



I'm also sending it to Simple and in Season hosted by Ren as gooseberries are in season currently.



 fresh gooseberries 

 adding gooseberries to the cake batter 

 I love the sugary bits from the orange drizzle 

 You can see that the gooseberries sunk to the bottom of the cake 


Recipe from BBC Good Food 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!