Monday 27 July 2015

Gooseberry Crumble Cake


I mentioned in a previous post that I was given a large amount of fresh gooseberries from a colleague's garden. When I was looking for recipes, I came across this gooseberry crumble cake recipe by Nigel Slater. I followed his recipe and added a sprinkle of brown sugar on top before baking and the cake turned out beautifully. I'm not a fan of gooseberries mainly because they are too tart for me and have a very squidgy texture but in this cake it's absolutely delicious. The sponge is light and I loved the crumble topping. The gooseberries themselves tasted great! J got to taste test the gooseberry and orange drizzle cake as well as this one and he said this cake won hands down. I'm definitely making this again but with the addition of almond flakes on top as it will add extra nuttiness and crunch to the cake. I've been given even more gooseberries so looks like I'll be baking with them for the next few weeks or months!

I'm sending this to Simple and in Season hosted by Ren as gooseberries are in season.


I'm also sending it to Shop Local hosted by Elizabeth from Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary. The gooseberries are fresh from my colleague's garden.




 lovely fresh gooseberries 

 cake batter 

 add fresh gooseberries on top 

 add crumble mix 

 I decided to sprinkle some brown sugar on top 

 fresh from the oven


 You can just see the gooseberries under the crumblelayer here 

Recipe from Nigel Slater - scroll to second recipe on the page. The only change I made was to sprinkle some brown sugar on top before baking. 



9 comments:

  1. Crumble topped cakes are wonderful. I'd be giving this a go if only my dad would freeze the gooseberries he is picking from the garden at the moment. That's the only way we'll have enough to do anything with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to eat gooseberries if it's baked in a crumble cake like this but still not sure about stewed gooseberries! Hope you manage to get some gooseberries from your dad.

      Delete
  2. This looks gorgeous Ros. I love gooseberries so I'm rather envious of your hord. It's amazing how crumble can transform a cake ;-)

    ps - sorry for not managing AlphaBakes this month, I've not managed to come up with a worthwhile U! I guess I should have gone for an upside down cake - oh bother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to get a few gooseberry recipes from your blog as I have a LOT of gooseberries in the freezer at the moment. Definitely can't go wrong with a crumble or crumble cake. Hope to see you back at AlphaBakes next month, U is exceptionally difficult!

      Delete
  3. I love this cake!! Look delicious!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I'm a huge fan of gooseberries and this does look like a fine way to celebrate them. Lovely. I wish someone would give me lots of gooseberries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd send some over if I could. My freezer is overflowing with gooseberries at the moment!

      Delete
  5. Mmm gorgeous! I've still got last season's gooseberries in my freezer - I will have to try this recipe! Thank you for sharing with the #ShopLocalChallenge!

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!