I finally got to try a recipe from Lorraine Pascale's Baking Made Easy. I picked flapjacks as I was baking them for a bake sale event and wanted something simple that would appeal to the masses. I omitted the ground ginger and lemon zest from her recipe and just made them plain. They are really easy to make and delicious. I'm sure you can make many variations by adding fruits and/or nuts or drizzling with chocolate. The possibilities are endless! What's your favourite flapjack?
175g muscovado sugar
175g golden syrup
finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
pinch of ground ginger
- Preheat the oven to 150C. Grease and lie and 20cm square baking tin.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over a low heat.
- Dip a brush in the butter and brush the baking tin with a little bit of it.
- Add the golden syrup and sugar to the butter and heat gently.
- Once the sugar is dissolved and the butter is melted, remove from the heat and stir in the oats. Add lemon zest and ginger if using.
- Pack the mixture into the baking tin and squash down.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool for 15 minutes then turn out on to a chopping board and cut into squares.