Monday 24 October 2011

Apple Streusel Cake


October is National Apple Month.  I've already been baking quite a bit with apples and other fruits that are in season this autumn. There are quite a few blogging challenges around the blogosphere so I'd like to submit this recipe for the cookbook party hosted by Louise of months of edible celebrations. Check out her website to see what else October is the month for... I was quite surprised! I'm also submitting this recipe to Simple and in Season.



This recipe is from the hummingbird bakery cake days (page 42). It's a really simple recipe and turned out beautifully. I added an extra layer of apples so you can see that there is only a very thin layer of sponge but lots of apples and streusel topping. It smelled amazing whilst it was baking and once it was out of the oven.  I really love the combination of apples and cinnamon - a match made in heaven. I think this is better than the cinnamon crumble apple cake that I made recently.


 make the streusel topping 

 layer the apples on top - I added a second layer after this! 

 add the streusel topping and bake 

 fresh from the oven 





Recipe from hummingbird bakery cake days

For the cake
60g unsalted butter
140g plain flour
100g caster sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
80mls whole milk
3 granny smith apples

For the streusel topping
70g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
40g unsalted butter, chilled and diced
70g soft light brown sugar


  • Preheat the oven to 170C. 
  • Grease and line a 20cm spring-form cake tin.
  • Firstly, make the streusel topping by sifting the flour and cinnamon into a bowl.
  • Add the butter and rub together using your fingertips until they resemble breadcrumbs.
  • Add the sugar and set aside.
  • Secondly, make the sponge by creaming the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
  • Add the egg and vanilla essence and mix well. 
  • Sift the flour, baking powder and salt and then add half to the creamed butter mixture followed by half of the milk.
  • Repeat with the rest of the flour mixture and milk. 
  • Pour the batter into the prepared tin. 
  • Peel, core and slice the apples and arrange on top of the cake batter. 
  • Sprinkle the streusel topping on top evenly.
  • Bake for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown.
  • Cake can be eaten warm or cold. (I had mine warm with ice cream and it was delicious!)

12 comments:

  1. This streusel cake look amazing!!!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the warm layers and layers of streusel in this cake. Oh my apple goodness! I'm getting cinnamon..y all over.

    Thank you so much for joining the Cookbook Party. I'm sure the other "guests" will be just as thrilled!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm....looks delish. I had an apple pie this weekend that my mom baked. Love apples~!

    www.cancerinthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many lovely apple recipes around at the moment it's nice to see something so yummy. I shall file this for reference next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favourite cakes, thank you so much for entering Simple and in Season. I'm following you with Google Friend Connect now so I look forward to visiting your site to see all your delicious treats! Ren x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now this is one I haven't cooked before. I do love apples and a glass of milk with it sounds good too. Love the photos. This is a nice one you added to the cookbook party at Louise's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm heading over to yours - be there in a few hours, could you whack the kettle on and maybe rustle me up a slice of this cake ?
    ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sure looks tasty. Luv it & I'm gonna try your recipe. Awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's so much apple in that cake, I love it! I adore streusel on muffins, so I think this is next on the to-make list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very tasty! Everybody loved it.
    Thanks for sharing ;)

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!