Wednesday 19 October 2011

Giant Oreo Cookie Cake



As most of you may know, I changed jobs recently. My lovely colleagues bought me an amazing cake stand and I also got this really cool giant cookie mould! (Thank you Kate!!) I've had my eye on it for a while so was really pleased when I was presented with it. If you don't already know, I love oreos and baking with oreos so I was really excited to make a giant oreo cookie! It really is more like a chocolate cake with buttercream frosting but it looks like a giant cookie. The texture is dense and chocolatey and it holds its shape really well. I was a bit worried it would not look like the picture!
I used the recipe from Williams Sonoma and found it far too sweet for my liking even though I reduced the sugar amount slightly. I've included the original amounts below as you may have a super sweet tooth but I would recommend 1/3 reduction if you prefer it less sweet.
PS apologies for the last two photos, I had to take it with my phone whilst at work after it was sliced.

 giant cookie mould 




Williams Sonoma Giant Oreo Cookie Cake 

For the cake
45g cocoa powder, plus more for dusting 
200g chocolate, broken into pieces
200g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
125g flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
390g sugar
4 eggs
1 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the buttercream frosting
560g icing sugar
325g unsalted butter
3.5 tablespoons milk, plus more if needed
1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt

  • Preheat the oven to 180C. 
  • Using a small pastry brush, grease 2 sandwich cookie cake pans with butter, making sure to coat all the details and crevices in the pans.
  • Dust thoroughly with cocoa powder and tap out any excess.
  • To make the cake, melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water. 
  • Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, a few pieces at a time, until blended. 
  • Let the chocolate mixture cool slightly. 
  • In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt until combined and set aside. 
  • Ina  large bowl, whisk the sugar, eggs and vanilla until well combined.
  • Add the chocolate mixture and whisk until incorporated. 
  • Whisk in the flour mixture until combined. 
  • Divide the batter evenly between the pans and spread evenly.
  • Gently tap the pans on the counter to release any air bubbles. 
  • Bake until the tops of the cakes are shiny and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out with a few crumbs attached, about 35 minutes. 
  • Transfer the pans to a wire rack and allow to cool for 15 minutes before inverting the cake onto a cutting board/work surface. 
  • To make the buttercream frosting - in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the flat beater, combine the icing sugar, butter, milk, vanilla and salt and beat on low speed for about 1 minutes. 
  • Increase the speed to medium and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. 
  • If the frosting is dry, add more milk, 1 teaspoon at a time until it is creamy but still holds peaks.
  • Using a large spatula, carefully turn 1 cake over the the printed side faces down. 
  • Spread the buttercream evenly over the flat side of the cake. 
  • Place the second cake, printed side up on top. 

12 comments:

  1. wow this looks brilliant! I've been looking at it too :)

    Nom! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had my eye on that cake pan for a while too! Its such a cute cake :) Thanks for the sweetness heads up - when I get that pan I'll have to remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. NO WAY you got one of these! I'm so jealous :) I'm not from the US so can't get hold of one, but hopefully one day! Looks yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Xinmei - you can buy it from amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Giant-Mega-Cookie-Mould-Baking/dp/B004RGRVO6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1319066425&sr=8-2

    or ebay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute cake. It looks so delicious. I love chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a very cool gift indeed! I have a bit of a thing for anything oversized or miniature! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your giant cookie cake is amazing. What a lovely present from your colleagues. It does look rather like an oreo. Look forward to seeing more of these - yum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! This looks brilliant!! I WANT ONE!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that looks amazing! I am Oreo mad at the moment. Loving the pan, I didn't realise they even existed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Informative post. Thanks for sharing with us. I would like to share information about the company. The education app development company specializes in creating innovative and impactful mobile applications tailored to the needs of educational institutions, e-learning platforms, and edtech startups. With a team of dedicated developers and designers, they possess a deep understanding of the evolving educational landscape and the power of technology in enhancing learning experiences.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!